sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Possibly newbie problems with SM install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: George Mochrie <geo AT drasil.uklinux.net>
  • To: "Malcolm Lockyer" <m.lockyer AT quicker.net.nz>
  • Cc: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Possibly newbie problems with SM install
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 12:18:03 +0100

On Saturday 07 September 2002 8:15 am, Malcolm Lockyer wrote:
> I did - just to make sure - I should be changing the root to ..../disc -
> not disc 0 or anything right?

hi

u should be changing the _boot_ to /devices/discs/disc0/disc not the _root_.
the root should stay just like it is (mine is /devices/discs/disc0/part5).
also if you make a typo in the lilo.conf file when editing it lilo may fail,
that's happened to me a few times.

to fix the problem boot from the install cd and at the 1st menu choose
'choose
boot device' (or whatever the exact wording is) and give it the partition
your sourcemage install is on (eg. /devices/discs/disc0/part5). you should
boot into sourcemage and you can edit /etc/lilo.conf to change the lilo
configuration and then 'lilo' to apply the changes. reboot and you should be
fine.

hope this helps
--
George Mochrie