sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] The Constitution

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: Source Mage Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] The Constitution
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

bylaws...

Do you propose to have bylaws? If so, there should be a bylaws section
for specifying voting process on bylaws. Does each team make their own
bylaws through modified consensus (go for consensus, then fallback on
majority vote)

Other than that, very thorough.

voting...

I propose single-seat voting should be done using "Instant Runoff" voting,
and multi-seat elections should be "Choice"/"Single Transferable"
voting. (read fairvote.org)... I ran the Oregon Pacific Green Party
elections this last year where we used Single Transferable/Choice voting.

If a lot of people prefer Condorcet voting, I'd be happy with that as
well, unless you want to use approval voting, which I'm less satisfied
with, but quite content with. I'm just completely dead-set against
plurality elections that can't even produce a majority in a lot of
instances.

Seth