sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sparc port help

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Chris Brien" <christopher_brien AT hotmail.com>
  • To: eric AT sandall.us, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sparc port help
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 23:19:36 +0100

From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
All,

Once my Sparc station gets here (UltraSparc II 333, 256Mb RAM, 8Gb HDD)
sometime this week (I think it's already here as UPS left me a note two
days ago, but they didn't stop by yesterday to drop it off, so I'm hoping
today...), I'm going to install either Solaris and/or Debian on it so that
I can start working on a SM port for the Sparc architecture. However, I
have never done anything like this before and so would like to do
something different. What I want is for my base OS (probably Debian, if I
can get it working on there) to be running all the time, but have a
secondary OS running _within_ my primary OS (again, probably Debian as it
_should_ be a Linux for what I'm planning) which will be running SSH for
outsiders to connect to. I want this secondary OS to be trashable (hence
the primary will _not_ be touchable by the secondary) so that I can allow
anyone whom wants to help with the Sparc port have an account on the
secondary OS (which is running _inside_ of the primary OS, similar to how
the IBM z-series work (or pretty much any other mainframe)).

My question: Has anyone done anything like this and how do I do it (if
it's even possible)?

Will I need to purchase VMWare to run the secondary OS in, or can I have
Linux manage this (or some other, preferably free as in beer, tool)? Is
there an easier way?

Qustions,comments, and clarifications are welcome.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

VmWare only works on x86 boxen. Sorry.

Usermode linux purports to do what you want, though I've never tried it. Don't use Bochs because it will be horrendously slow.

You could just use a chroot, I guess. But then since others might have root, that's maybe not such a good idea (unless you further restrict the chroot with a grsecurity kernel). You would be able to then boot this chrooted system normally if you use another partition for it.

Of course, the most fun thing to do would be to trash the Debian system :o)

Chris
aka zero_the_hero