sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage network install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage network install
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:24:51 -0700 (PDT)

Casey Harkins said:

> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
>> Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>:
>> > 3) Which network file system?
>
> I may just stick with NFS. If the server goes down, we're screwed anyway
> (the database is our primary tool). The only reason I wanted to switch
> was because of some strange behaviour we are currently experiencing with
> a file that gets modified by lots of users throughout the day (never at
> the same time though). Somehow changes get lost, I've been blaming it on
> reiserfs (I've heard there were problems with reiser and nfs), but I
> cannot confirm that this is what it causing the problem. I'll find out
> if I switch to ext3 w/ nfs.

I also have had locking problems with NFS + ReiserFS, so I switched to
ext3 for my server's exported NFS mounts. Lately I have been working on
another networking filesystem called Coda (it has support in the kernel).
If you want, I will post what I have to sm-spell-submit (though nothing I
send seems to go through there, so maybe I'll post the files on
grimoire-gurus.org instead) so that others may play with it as well. I've
gotten the spells to compile and install both the client and server
programs, but now I'm working on getting the spells to do the setup
properly. :)

Coda is quite a bit better than NFS (and SMB, unless you have to share
with Windows). It has quite a few features that, anyone whom uses NFS,
should check out. =)

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

<snip>

> -casey