sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage network install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage network install
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:11:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>:
> > 1) Which grimoire: devel, testing, stable or custom?
>
> Make all of them only download sorcery/grimoire from
> your server, not from SMGL servers. I imagine a staging
> area where you would test new sorcery and spells, and
> then use scribe (and tell us how did you do it :-) to
> move successful spells to your custom grimoire.

Ooo, forgot about scribe. Anyone know the status of this? I'll take a look
to see what I can figure out.

> > 2) Localized source
>
> Everything is only wget-ed from $BASE_URL/$SOURCE,
> AFAIR (use the source).

I'll double-check the source.

> > 3) Which network file system?

I may just stick with NFS. If the server goes down, we're screwed anyway
(the database is our primary tool). The only reason I wanted to switch was
because of some strange behaviour we are currently experiencing with a
file that gets modified by lots of users throughout the day (never at the
same time though). Somehow changes get lost, I've been blaming it on
reiserfs (I've heard there were problems with reiser and nfs), but I
cannot confirm that this is what it causing the problem. I'll find out if
I switch to ext3 w/ nfs.

> > be appreciated. Back to LDAP docs...
>
> I finally got it working with PAM and SSHd (no human
> user records in passwd/group/shadow), and my section
> now has a couple of handy spells to do LDAP
> housekeeping. Next step: mod_ldap for Apache and final
> scene of bending IMP (web-mail) to use LDAP and work.

I'll definitely be using these spells, and may drill you with more
questions then.

---

I'll try to keep decent notes as I go and throw some more info up in the
wiki when I get a chance. If anyone else has any thing to throw in, feel
free.

-casey