sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Distributed compilation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: julian AT openit.de (Julian v. Bock)
  • To: Tobias Marx <tmarx AT digitalprojects.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Distributed compilation
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:19:54 +0200

Hi

>> I use ccache heavily for several months for both development and
>> the devel / libs maintenance (and all SM [re]builds of course), and
>> I had no problems so far.

TM> have you got any (rough) benchmarks or at least an impression on
TM> the time savings with ccache? i've got ~1,7gb in
TM> /var/cache/compile/ at the moment and i would like to know if it's
TM> worth it (and i've got no idea how to test it).

Recompiling cached source code seems to be about 10 to 20 times faster,
but I didn't do a real benchmark.

TM> btw. how do compilercache and ccache work toghether in sgl?

They don't work together at all. Compilercache is not supported
anymore IIRC. If there are still compilercache options in sorcery,
don't touch them ;-)

ccache is not yet supported by sorcery. I created a new directory with
the gcc, g++, etc. links and modified the default paths in
/etc/sorcery to make it work.

Julian