sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Where nealbirch is at on the init scripts, devfsd and base-system, etal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • To: ryan.abrams AT attbi.com, SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: abrice2 AT cox.net, geo AT drasil.no-ip.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Where nealbirch is at on the init scripts, devfsd and base-system, etal
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 20:19:29 -0400

Ryan Abrams wrote:
> On 7/9/02 5:30 PM, "George Mochrie" <geo AT drasil.no-ip.org> wrote:
>
> Like Chris said, devfsd is a good idea, and as soon as devfs is not
> experimental, we will transition. Neal Birch is already researching
> this as part of the basesystem definition he is doing. Which brings me
> to the second part of this paragraph.. The init system.
>
> This will be completely rebuilt from the ground up for 1.0 (I hope -
> care to comment Neal?)
AND
> Hmm. Hardware detection is definitely important. I can see a flag in
> sorcery for hardware autodetect that spells could check and use if
> enabled. The script below could be a good start, but I hesitate to
> suggest that we roll our own hardware detection when there are two
> actively developed ones > out there.
>
> Kudzu looks like it might be easier to run with than HardDrake, but I
> havent actually played with either.
>
> Get in touch with Neal Birch and talk to him about it. He is currently
> working on the init system, and will be working on coordinating the
> base system as a part of that.

Nothing quite like being really behind in my mail, is there? I had some
personal issues come up and etc. I finally got a moment today when
things seem less than chaotic to attempt to catch up. At least the
apc/ups works, even if none of the electrical outlets in the house are
grounded. That has been a good investment...

(and I had to switch mail clients because the cursor glitch with
gcc-3.1/mozilla mail is enough to drive one mad while editing mail ...)

The gcc-3.1 update hosed my whole /etc/init.d setup, and my backup got
hosed (operator error on my part.) All for the good, nothing that I did
wasn't duplicable, and this did show me where to start the major work.

#1: Doing a rebuild/update/etc rewrites your /etc/init.d
scripts or the symlinks in your /etc/rc*.d folders This is not
acceptable. I sat down and wrote up a small script to figure out what
spell put which script in the /etc/init.d, and I have started my way
through the list. I will be posting the issues on bugzilla as I go.

(Most of it is what I am calling at the moment "sanity checks"; making
sure you don't overwrite something that already exists, etc. Cups is the
worst so far, but I have only gotten a third of the way through my
list.)

#2: adding functions is pretty basic, working through the "sanity
checks" less so. LFS functions are the simplest, gentoo's are more
complicated. Working on a rewrite.

#3: Working on rewriting the bash script that Rock Linux uses to
control runlevels, I want to do it as much as possible in bash, they
have a few programs thrown in there, someone is going to have to go
over this when i get done with it (or throw in the towel).

#4: Some scripts in /etc will need to be worked as well.

Devfsd I will put on hold until after I upgrade to gcc-3.2 I think.
I did get gcc-3.1 installed and everything rebuilt, wonders of wonders.
When does gcc-3.2 come out?

Another rebuild? Watch your /etc/init.d scripts folks! You do a rebuild
after you customize your /etc/init.d files or your /etc/rc*.d links,
you need to recheck them! Back it up and test your backup beforehand to
save a little hassle and annoyance. It's not fun if you have modified
your mount.sh and it tries to mount (or umount!) something twice...

I like the autodetect idea, btw. Down the road a piece, first I want
some sanity on what we have already, if possible.

I am learning tons about cast, gaze, sorcery, bash and every one of
these programs in the process, too!

See attached files if you want to help. I have a lot on my plate at the
moment, both with this and with other issues.

--
"You can fool some of the people all of the time
--and those are the ones you have to concentrate on!"

(sanity checking implies not overwriting existing scripts or linking
if link already exists, etc)
audio:alsa-driver-0.9.0rc2:/etc/init.d/alsasound
in BUILD alsasound is linked.
needs rewrite to include functions.
disk:e2fsprogs-1.27:/etc/init.d/mount.sh
in BUILD mount.sh is linked, mount.sh is part of spell.
needs rewrite: sanity checks and include functions
http:apache2-2.0.39:/etc/init.d/apache.sh
apache.sh is part of spell; links in BUILD.
needs rewrite: add apachectl graceful (restart), status and
include functions.
net:net-tools-1.60:/etc/init.d/hostname.sh
& /etc/init.d/networking.sh
these 2 scripts are included in the spells, as well as linking.
need rewriten: add status and include functions.
net:xinetd-2.3.5:/etc/init.d/xinetd.sh
xinetd.sh is part of spell as well as linking
needs rewritten:Sanity check, add status and functions.
printer:cups-1.1.15:/etc/init.d/cups
With cups, make install installs the scripts! argh!
script needs rewritten and links need to be symbolic, not
copies of cups file.
utils:at-3.1.8:/etc/init.d/atd.sh

utils:hc-cron-0.14:/etc/init.d/crond.sh

utils:modutils-2.4.16:/etc/init.d/modutils.sh

utils:procps-2.0.7:/etc/init.d/sysctl.sh

utils:sysklogd-1.4.1:/etc/init.d/sysklogd.sh

xx-grimoire:gps-1.1.0:/etc/init.d/rgpsp
personal spell, doesn't link to start

strangely enough, the shell script I wrote to toss this for me didn't
get all the info, it seems that some of the descriptions gaze looks
for include the path and some don't. These don't:

/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
sorcery-20020709:/var/lib/sorcery/grimoire/crypto/util-linux-crypto/bootmisc.sh
sorcery-20020709:/var/lib/sorcery/grimoire/utils/util-linux/bootmisc.sh

/etc/init.d/functions
(not written yet)

/etc/init.d/halt.sh
sorcery-20020709:/var/lib/sorcery/grimoire/utils/sysvinit/halt.sh

/etc/init.d/localtime.sh
(gaze doesn't find this one)

/etc/init.d/networking.sh
sorcery-20020709:/var/lib/sorcery/grimoire/net/net-tools/networking.sh

/etc/init.d/rc
/etc/init.d/rcS
/etc/init.d/reboot.sh
/etc/init.d/signals.sh
sorcery-20020709:/var/lib/sorcery/grimoire/utils/sysvinit/rcS

/etc/init.d/sorcerer.sh
(gaze doesn't find this one)

AND the files in /etc that were changed: (start over on this.)

host.conf (along with some other hosts files)
net:netkit-base-0.17:/etc/host.conf

lynx.cfg
http:lynx-2.8.4:/etc/lynx.cfg

mime-magic and mime-magic.dat
gnome:gnome-libs-1.4.1.7:/etc/mime-magic
gnome:gnome-libs-1.4.1.7:/etc/mime-magic.dat

mime.types
mail:mutt-1.4i:/etc/mime.types

This list is in no way all inclusive, only what I have checked or
installed on my system.

  • [SM-Discuss] Where nealbirch is at on the init scripts, devfsd and base-system, etal, nealbirch, 07/18/2002