sm-announce - [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release

sm-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 00:37:45 +0400

Hey there,

We're coming closer to the stable-0.61 Grimoire release, so here's some
middle-work, that helps us to test 0.60 -> 0.61 upgrade process.

This release has a lot of updates (since it's based on stable-rc 0.61
Grimoire, which was renewed and cut a week ago) as well as Kernel update
to 3.0.31.

The most visible changes:

* GCC 4.6.3
* Kernel 3.0.31 (latest LTS)
* Sorcery 1.15.1 (unchanged though, just FYI)

* dropped spells:
o fping
o g++ (the spell itself no longer needed, gcc spell provides C++
functionality)
o glib2 (nothing in basesystem depends on glib2, and recent glib2
requires Python installed)
o p7zip (no longer needed for metalog -- replaced by xz, which is
included in basesystem)
o vim (replaced by powerful and yet minimal vi clone -- elvis)

* new spells:
o elvis
o ntfs-3g (adds NTFS support)
o gdisk (adds fdisk with GPT support and other nice tools)
o popt (required by gdisk)
o minicom (useful tool for playing with COM when you set up BIOS
console redirection, etc. Also inspired by this message[0])

so it's still 131 of them.

Images are available for download from our general download page[1].
Feel free to test and report[2].

If nothing critical is found, this release will become our new
0.61-stable chroot image for preparing new installation ISO.

[0] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-announce/2004-April/000063.html
[1] http://www.sourcemage.org/projects/source-mage/wiki/Download
[2] http://www.sourcemage.org/projects/grimoire/issues

--