sm-announce - [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-0.60 (20120510) chroot image release

sm-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: sm-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-0.60 (20120510) chroot image release
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 00:22:49 +0400

Hello, Valley!

So here it comes. Finally I got finished this work, and this is it.

New polished chroot images for both architectures -- i686 and x86_64
with all essential programs on them to make SMGL installations a bit
easier on modern hardware :)

Kernel version (as per 0.60-stable grimoire) is *3.0.0*.

The most low-level stuff (usually RAID controllers, HDD and file
subsystems) is compiled-in, the rest is available in modules (>2500),
so it should boot almost everywhere now.

Every spell is compiled from scratch with generic optimizations (no
extra flags and specific arch specs) for both architectures
respectively.

The contents is based on our current cauldron ISO's spell-list[0] plus
our preferences discussed here and on IRC plus some user advices plus my
own experience during the last years of Source Mage' [con|dis]tribution.

No extra stuff (like ten text editors), but we should discuss and fix
this spell-list for the next chroot image, which will be based on
0.61-stable grimoire, I believe.

Total 131 spells:

acpid / 1.0.10
autoconf / 2.68
automake / 1.11.1
basesystem / 0.9.4
bash / 4.2
bin86 / 0.16.18
bind-tools / 9.8.1
binutils / 2.21.1a
bison / 2.5
bzip2 / 1.0.6
ca-certificates / 20110502+nmu1
castfs / 0.6.1
ccache / 3.1.6
coreutils / 8.13
cpio / 2.11
cronie / 1.4.8
curl / 7.22.0
dhcpcd / 5.2.12
dialog / 1.1-20110707
diffutils / 3.2
dmidecode / 2.11
dosfstools / 3.0.11
e2fsprogs / 1.41.14
file / 5.09
findutils / 4.4.2
flex / 2.5.35
fping / 2.4b2_to-ipv6
fuse / 2.8.6
g++ / 4.6.1
gawk / 4.0.0
gcc / 4.6.1
gettext / 0.18.1.1
glib2 / 2.28.8
glibc / 2.13
gmp / 4.3.2
gnupg / 1.4.11
gperf / 3.0.4
grep / 2.9
groff / 1.21
grub2 / 1.99
gzip / 1.4
iana-etc / 2.30
ifupdown / 0.6.10
init.d / 2.2.13
installwatch / 2010-12-12
iptables / 1.4.12.1
jfsutils / 1.1.15
kbd / 1.15.2
less / 444
libaal / 1.0.5
libevent / 2.0.13
libgssglue / 0.2
libidn / 1.22
libmpc / 0.9
libnfsidmap / 0.20
libpcap / 1.1.1
librpcsecgss / 0.17
libtirpc / 0.2.2
libtool / 2.4
libusb / 1.0.8
libusb-compat / 0.1.3
lilo / 23.2
linux / 3.0.0
locale / 0.0.2
lsscsi / 0.25
lvm / 2.02.88
lynx / 2.8.7rel.2
m4 / 1.4.16
mailx / 12.4
make / 3.82
man / 1.6g
man-pages / 3.32
mdadm / 3.1.5
metalog / 1
module-init-tools / 3.16
mpfr / 2.4.2
nano / 2.2.6
ncurses / 5.9
netkit-base / 0.17
netkit-ping / 0.17
net-tools / 1.60
nfs-utils / 1.1.6
openssh / 5.9p1
openssl / 0.9.8w
p7zip / 9.20.1
parted / 2.4
patch / 2.6.1
pciutils / 3.1.7
pcmciautils / 018
pcre / 8.13
perl / 5.14.2
pkgconfig / 0.26
ppp / 2.4.5
procps / 3.2.8
readline / 6.2
reiser4progs / 1.0.7
reiserfsprogs / 3.6.21
rpcbind / 0.2.0
rp-pppoe / 3.10
rsync / 3.0.9
run-parts / 3.4.4
sed / 4.2.1
shadow / 4.1.5
sharutils / 4.9
simpleinit-msb / 1.3
smgl-archspecs / 0.8.2
smgl-fhs / 2.2.2
socat / 1.7.1.3
sorcery-pubkeys / 1.6.5
sudo / 1.8.3p2
sysfsutils / 2.1.0
sysstat / 10.0.1
tar / 1.26
tcpdump / 4.1.1
telnet-bsd / 1.2
texinfo / 4.13a
tmux / 1.5
traceroute / 2.0.16
udev / 173
unzip / 6.0
usbutils / 004
util-linux / 2.19.1
vim / 7.3
wget / 1.13.4
which / 2.20
whois / 5.0.11
wireless_tools / 29
wpa_supplicant / 0.7.3
xfsprogs / 3.1.5
xz-utils / 5.0.3
zlib / 1.2.5

the most interesting:

* bootloaders: lilo, grub2
* filesystems: ext2, ext3, ext4, xfs, jfs, reiserfs, reiser4fs, nfs3,
nfs4, fat
* software raid tools (mdadm) and LVM support
* partitioners: fdisk, parted (I'm thinking about adding gdisk)
* editors: vi (minimal), nano
* glibc 2.13, GCC 4.6.1
* diagnostic networking stuff: ping, fping, traceroute, host, nslookup,
whois, dig, socat, tcpdump, telnet
* minimal cron and acpi daemons
* castfs by default
* tmux

ccache is included but turned off in sorcery.

everything with default configurations, except one thing:
*shadow's encrypt method is set to sha512*.

I also prepared a guide about bringing images to real life[1].
bzipped tarballs are available[2] on our mirrors, and since there's a
modern tendency, xzipped ones are there too.

all of them are signed with my usual Source Mage signing key:
0F16 05A9 65BE 20DF 0BBA 21C6 5B0A A677 447D 316C

I hope with Cauldron team we could make an ISO on a basis of these
images and roll out SMGL installation ISOs with kernel 3.0 or even 3.2
soon.

Hope you liked it,
thanks!

p.s. as usually: comments and yelling (positive and negative) are welcomed :)
p.p.s. you know what thing has made this possible. David knows.

[0]
http://scmweb.sourcemage.org/?p=smgl/cauldron.git;a=blob_plain;f=cauldron/etc/x86/iso.spells;hb=HEAD
[1] http://sourcemage.org/projects/source-mage/wiki/ChrootInstallGuide
[2] http://sourcemage.org/projects/source-mage/wiki/Download

--
Dont wait to die to find paradise...
--

  • [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-0.60 (20120510) chroot image release, Vlad Glagolev, 05/11/2012