seranet - [SN] Check in

seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Socially and Ecologically Responsible Agriculture Network

  • From: Kathy Carter-White <kathycarterwhite AT earthlink.net>
  • To: seranet AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SN] Check in
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:43:44 -0600

This is a test post and check in from Kathy Carter-White. Shall we introduce ourselves?

I'm Facilitator for the Cherokee Small Farm Project, a development project of the Cherokee Nation which is "in" what you might think of as Oklahoma.

Cherokees have been farming for 4,000 years. Since contact with Europeans, our lifeways have been changing and blending. One of my interests is in learning about (and testing hypotheses about) the kind of farming that Cherokees used, as they evoleved to farmers of today. Some still farm simply, and there is much emphasis on agroforestry, wild gathering, and harmonious interrelationship with "unmanaged" ecosystems. This intrigues me. Also, I manage a small seed band for the Cherokee Tomato. I am on the Board of Oklahoma Food-- a new concept of a food system, where both producers and buyers are our members, and everything is from Oklahoma. I write grants, grow a garden and have an attorney license, although the closest thing I do to legal practice these days is incorporating Cherokee community nonprofit groups.

Check in. What is your interest in sustainable ag? And what are your skills, interests, dreams, intentions, etc.?
Kathy
Tahlequah, OK