seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Fwd: Re: [permaculture] Viewing SSE and Seeds ofChange changes

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Fwd: Re: [permaculture] Viewing SSE and Seeds ofChange changes
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 10:22:26 -0500

On 12/3/2010 9:39 AM, Mary and Robin Reed wrote:
Lawrence
Where would I go to find seeds regional for KY?
Robin Reed

That is a good question. Maybe someone here will respond. You can also ask in my marketfarming and permaculture lists:

marketfarming mailing list
marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org

permaculture mailing list
permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Or, with your permission I will forward your posts to those two lists for you. You can also go to the public message archives for them and read any replies that may appear.

There is the sanet-mg list where you would be sure to find an answer.
Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group
http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html

And these resources:

Southern Organic Resource Guide / Sources of Organic and Untreated Non-GMO Seeds
http://attra.ncat.org/sorg/seeds.html
Sources of Organic and Untreated Non-GMO Seeds
* Introduction
* Regional Seed Resources
* Companies Selling Organic Seeds: Source List

Regional Seed Resources

The Save Our Seed Project is a unique regional resource created in response to the limited availability of organic and open-pollinated heirloom seed. Save our Seed is working to increase the availability of regionally adapted, open-pollinated, certified organic seed and to develop a southern seed network.

Contact:
Cricket Rakita
Save our Seed Project
286 Dixie Hollow
Louisa, VA 23093
540-894-8865
cricket@savingourseed.org
www.savingourseeds.org
(seed production guides and seed source database)

The Southern Seed Legacy, a membership association, was developed to recover, save, and increase the diversity of heirloom plants and traditional knowledge of the American South. More than 400 varieties of heirloom seeds, with photos, are posted on their Web site, www.uga.edu/ %7Eebl/southernheirloom; email: ebl@uga.edu.

The Seedsaving and Seedsavers’ Resources Web page provides manylinks to sources for heirloom and non-GE seeds, information and resources for saving seeds, and seed exchange networks. Links are from the U.S., several European countries, the U.K., and Australia.homepage.tinet.ie/~merlyn/seedsaving.html

The ATTRA publication Suppliers of Seed for Certified Organic Production has been updated and is now in the form of a searchable on-line database. The database provides sources for organic seed for agronomic and horticultural crops. Some national mail-order suppliers of untreated seed are included, with emphasis on small, alternative seed companies offering open-pollinated vegetable, flower, and herb seed. Farmers can contact their certifying agents or state departments of agriculture to find out whether these agencies can supply lists of organic seed sources. www.attra.ncat.org

The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) lists some sources of organic seed. For grain growers interested in using local, bin-run organic seed, see the ATTRA publication Marketing Organic Grains for a regionally balanced list. The ATTRA publication Seed Production and Variety Development for Organic Systems discusses additional seed sources. The buyer needs to ask to see the seed supplier’s documentation, including organic certification. www.omri.org/OMRI_SEED_list.html