seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] ping Lawrence -- Wild Plum tree || New possible use: pickled Umeboshi plum

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] ping Lawrence -- Wild Plum tree || New possible use: pickled Umeboshi plum
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:12:13 -0400

I am rolling a Umeboshi plum pit arounf my mouth hoping to scrape off more
pulp from its exterior. It was dessert following the plate of organic
shortgrain rice it was embedded in
which also had a small topping of Sushi pickled ginger slices and a little
beefsteak leaf.
This was served with a big bowl of miso soup: barley miso, vegetables, olive
oil and water.

The wild plums I have may be ideally suited to being pickled as Umeboshi. The
flesh is somewhat sparse
and clings tightly to the pit. The plums are small with orange-yellow skins.

Anyone know how Umeboshi are made and how the beefsteak leaves are
incorporated into the pickle?
What plant produces these beefsteak leaves; is it red shiso?

All this is classed as traditional Japanese macrobiotic food.