seedkeepers - [Seed Keepers] ping Lawrence -- Wild Plum tree

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Cindie Strater" <tovaryn@gmail.com>
  • To: seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Seed Keepers] ping Lawrence -- Wild Plum tree
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:43:30 -0500

Lawrence, how cold does it get where you harvest the wild plums?  I wonder if they would survive the winter here in central Illinois.  Are they small trees or large shrubs?  Do they set fruit on old wood or new?  Old I think, but I'm wondering if they would survive a freeze and bounce back.

I might want a few pits to try, if you have plenty.  We've been working on landscaping our one-acre yard.  We're planning an edible landscape and wild plums would fit right in.

Off topic comment: I just got back from a long weekend in South Carolina.  The Carolinas are beautiful now.  :)  It was a real stinker coming back to cold, gray, wet Illinois.

I saw buds swelling on the redbud, grapes and blackberries.   So, there is hope...

Message: 4