seedkeepers - [Seed Keepers] thoughts about this list

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: Anders Skarlind <Anders.Skalman@telia.com>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Seed Keepers] thoughts about this list
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 20:06:43 +0100

Hello
So far this list is a discussion list and a very unorganised seed exchange. I think the discussion part is fairly unproblematical. If some people are upset about discussions, I think it is up to the moderator to decide toleration level and direction of dicussions.

What I think is more worthwhile to discuss is the seed exchange part. Here also I suppose Lawrence knows where he is heading, but I think some discussion may be in place, for the sake of clarity and constructive ideas.

Here are some thoughts and questions on internet-based seed exchanges in general and this one in particular:

* Is the seed exchange only directed towards advertising offered/sold seeds, or does it have other goals. Example of other goals could be:
-watching and editing variety names and descriptions to keep them correct -which takes a lot of knowledge and some work;
-keeping seed quality at a fair level, e g by a reporting system on offered seed quality;
-facilitating contact between people interested in the same plant groups.

* Will seeds be sold, given away and/or swapped? Will this be free to agree between the parties in each seed seed exchange?

* Seed exchange based on finding pairwise matches, like person A gives variety 1 to person B, and B gives variety 2 to A in retun, rarely works, because such matches rarely exists. Probably someone else has variety 2, but not person B. The working modes of exchange are by and large to give/receive and to sell/buy.

* Seed exchange directly in an email list obviously only works for a very low volume of seed exchanges. Above that it will be a mess. Something more advanced is needed.

* What is the geographical scope or focus? I think world-wide will not work so well. I think local or regional. Else it will be too scattered and too difficult to keep variety names etc in order, as this demands quite a knowledge.

I am an active coworker in the Swedish seedsavers organisation Sesam, where I have been chairman for a while and longtime board member. I am responsible for Sesam's collections of carrots (about 100 varieties) and vegetatively propagated Alliums (about 50 varieties). I have seen much of other seed saving organisations seed lists too. So I have some experience with seed saving organisations and seed exchanges.

Cheers
Anders Skarlind, Sweden