seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] [seedkeepers] GMO pollen and what to know...

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: lucy Owsley <boulderbelt@voyager.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] [seedkeepers] GMO pollen and what to know...
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:03:05 -0500

Look i am not saying I want GMO beets (or any other GMO crop/plant/animal) But I do think it is going waaaaay out there to think GMO beet pollen is going to be this super thing that will survive years in the soil and suddenly leap out and start pollinating non GMO beets. See the argument is getting so emotional as to be silly. this is exactly what Monsantan wants us to do-freak out and make up stupid arguments to say GMO's are bad. lets stick with reality of seed breeding here. This pollination prob is a lot less severe when you are talking biennials and not annuals and that is what we are talking about. i am not saying cross pollination with GMO's is not a problem and a big. What i am saying it is not the biggest problem in THIS case. capeche? There have got to be better arguments such as the plan to use 5x more round up because of GMO beets. or Health concerns (have there been any feeding studies done?)

I don't think the beets should be grown period and I am quite aware that Monsatan may well take all the heirlooms and pvp them.