reps - Re: [REPS] Agricultural Impact Assessments

reps AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Information exchange for REPS (Rural Environment Protection Scheme) Planners (Republic of Ireland)

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag AT eircom.net>
  • To: Conor Kretsch <Conor.Kretsch AT enviros.com>
  • Cc: reps AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [REPS] Agricultural Impact Assessments
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:01:41 +0100

Dear Conor,
just a very brief answer for now.
There is a mailing list called RESECON (Land & Resource Economics
Network) hosted in the US but with international membership. You may get
some answers to your question on impact assessment there.
I don't have the subscription details to hand but it'll be easy to find
using a search engine.
Also I remember the OECD has done work on effects of air-borne emissions
and water pollution on agricultural soils. (check on www.oecd.org) One
rather old source I'm aware of is OECD (1989): Agricultural and
Environmental Policies - Opportunities for Integration. Paris. 200 pp.
Check "Environmental Indicators for Agriculture", also by the OECD,
perhaps there are some pointers in there. You should be able to see
Table of Contents on their website.

As to your second question - I see your difficulty. It'll probably be
years still before LPIS, FIPS etc will be in the public domain. Even all
the information collected on REPS farms is not publicly available. And
having done paperwork with and for farmers leaves me with a healthy
distrust of farming statistics.
For soil data the AFF Soil Bulletins are wonderful but there is no full
coverage. It all comes back to the old problem we have in this country,
i.e. the lack of standardised, full-coverage, accessible data on basic
resources such as soils, hydrology, geology, land use, habitats,
biological records etc. in map or GIS format.

Bye for now.
Ute