reps - [REPS] Agricultural Impact Assessments

reps AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Information exchange for REPS (Rural Environment Protection Scheme) Planners (Republic of Ireland)

  • From: "Conor Kretsch" <Conor.Kretsch AT enviros.com>
  • To: <reps AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [REPS] Agricultural Impact Assessments
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:20:49 +0100

Title: Message
Two issues which I would appreciate some assistance with!

  • I am looking for any details on standard methods or best practice in carrying out agricultural impact assessments - i.e. assessing the impact of developments on agriculture - from individual farms to national level. Assessing potential or actual developmental impacts on soils, hydrology, air quality, economics etc is relatively straightforward in terms of what actually needs to be done, but despite hours of searching and phone contacts, I have not been able to determine if there are any standard approaches to tying them all in together from an agricultural context. I have tried all the traditional routes and ports of call, and have been quite surprised by the apathy displayed by most of the 'farming organisations' considering that this is entirely in their best interest, particularly where REPS farms are concerned. Do any guidelines exist or are there any hard and fast rules which are followed?
          If not, is anyone interested in discussing this and perhaps coming up with a working document?

  • Another point - it is often incredibly difficult or impossible to get environmental information on individual farms or holdings, e.g. soil type, soil quality, locations of wells, management systems used and so on. This makes it equally difficult or impossible to assess potential impacts on that environment or on the agricultural practice itself. Therefore it is often necessary to assume a worst case scenario which may be completely out of context or inaccurate and may even hinder future agriculctural improvements. Has anyone else come across these issues or can you suggest a way around them?
All replies gratefully received.

Regards,

Conor Kretsch