rarefruit - Re: [RareFruitIbib] Fruitipedia

rarefruit AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A list for people who research, grow and love rare fruit. Focus on tropical/subtropical fruits: their identification, botany, preservation, and culture.

  • From: Ron Couch <fg AT crfg.org>
  • To: "A list for people who research, grow and love rare fruit. Focus on tropical/subtropical fruits: their identification, botany, preservation, and culture." <rarefruit AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cgarriss AT garriss.net
  • Subject: Re: [RareFruitIbib] Fruitipedia
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:00:57 -0500

Hi Dr. Parmar,

I believe the spelling most often used as a common name is maypop. Some folks use may-pop. This plant is native to the southern U.S., where I reside, and to much of the southeastern U.S. as well. Its pithy little fruit (containing mostly air when dry, hence the name) isn't much to write home about, but its flower is typically gorgeous.

Ron