pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] wardian case plans

  • From: "Colleen" <colleenbevans@wowway.com>
  • To: <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] wardian case plans
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:11:58 -0500

I have 2 orchidariums...
It is a stainless steel bottom with glass doors and plexi sides, top and back. It has 4, 55 watt biaxial bulbs. I maintain humidity with 2 airstones (bubblers) like you see in aquariums. They sit in the bottom in about 2" of water and run 24/7. There are 2 water resistant fans running at the top of the unit...one blows down, the other blows up. This creates a circular air current. These units are available from Orchidarium.com but you CAN build one less expensively. The case is 4' wide, 2 1/2 ' deep and 4' high. I find that my cases run about 10 degrees higher than ambient room temperature.In winter I crack open a window, in summer I run a window air conditioner and keep the door to the room closed. I have the 2nd unit in the basement (I live in Michigan). It gets up to about 80 degrees in summer.
Colleen