pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 17, Issue 1 Coconut water

  • From: leo.schordje@degussa.com
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 17, Issue 1 Coconut water
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:53:00 -0500

Coconut water is the fluid from green coconuts. It is a clear liquid, not
overly sweet to taste and is loaded with plant auxins of various types. A
refreshing drink, and safe to drink when travelling areas where the water
may not be potable. Make sure the machetette is clean and carry your own
straws.
Coconut milk comes from ripe coconuts. It is a cloudy opaque white
liquid (not real homogenous) it is much sweeter and has a different plant
auxin composition. Often available in cans, the fatty portion often will
settle to the bottom half of the can. A great flavor base and thickener for
Thai Curry sauces and other tropical dishes, Not suitable for tissue
culture formulas.
If you are in the USA the best way I know of to get coconut water is
to go to an Asian food store and pick up green coconuts. I see them
occasionally in the Chicago area Make sure they are the green ones
intended for drinking, not the ripe ones for cooking and baking. If you
don't live in a large enough city to be able to get green coconuts, Sigma
Chemicals (800) 325-3010, does sell coconut water intended for tissue
culture. Catalog number C 5915, Coconut Water, de-proteinized and sterile
filtered, $18.35 for 100ml in my 2002 Sigma Catalog. I don't have an
account with them anymore or I would help you order.
Hope that helps.
Leo