pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia pollen

  • From: Ron Maunder <pondeeza@enternet.co.nz>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia pollen
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:31:32 +1300

To all..

The offer of pollen was not just to Marc. Others interested should contact me direct and I'll oblige while I'm financially and florally able!

Locally if we share pollen, the donor is offered some plants of each successful cross in return, free, Usually a flask of seedlings (up to 25 plantlets - 5 is often enough!). The hybridiser has the right to name the cross if they want.

With overseas donors in the past we have tried to give seed back by post if they want it and on occasion send a flask back with a willing visitor from the same country who agrees to send it on. The cost of shipping and Phyto inspection etc is too expensive for just one flask. Thats why seed or pollen exchange is easier.

With new restrictions in some countries on the posting of seed (and possibly pollen) things get complicated and even illegal. The anthrax scare in the USA has made the transfer of powders (seed?) much more difficult. Perhaps pollen is easier?

Comments invited! A new thread?

Cheers,

Ron Maunder in New Zealand

  • [pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia pollen, Ron Maunder, 11/29/2003