pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Life above the cloud forests?

  • From: Ron Maunder <pondeeza@enternet.co.nz>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Life above the cloud forests?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:45:47 +1300

Lyn,

More questions...

I read in your summary of your Ecuador trip in Vol 4 Issue 5 that you
saw plants out in fields and on rocks. Were these also bathed in
mists or in drier areas in full sun above the cloud forests?

Would these be exposed to more light and perhaps light frosts even?
Which Masdevallias favoured high altitude open situations and what
companion orchid genera grew with them?

If none grew above the tree line, which species were growing in the
highest altitude cloud forests? In other words which species grew in
the coolest conditions you encountered?

I'm looking at those that need no LSU's here in our temperate climate!

Sunny Spring day here with 20°C (68°F) predicted. Must get out and
do some creative hybridizing!

Ron Maunder - New Zealand