pleurothallid-l - RE: [pleurothallid-l] Re Aquarium Growing

  • From: "Linda Sedlacek" <lmg6534@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
  • To: <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [pleurothallid-l] Re Aquarium Growing
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:51:17 -0400

Honestly Al, I’m just learning myself.  I have a 50 gallon aquarium that is slowly being transformed into an orchidarium.  It’s pretty crude right now.  I don’t have a top for it yet.  I have gravel along the bottom and lots of water containers.  My light source is my college days bed light (a tensor).  Plus I have a fan running.  The fan is a little strong for the aquarium, one of my plants was pretty beaten up by it.  I’m afraid I don’t remember what the strength of the fan is.  I definitely don’t recommend my setup.  I can’t keep the humidity up because it all escapes from the top of the aquarium.  I have some pretty tough little plants in there right now that are very forgiving of my conditions.  The plants that have held up the best are Pleurothallis restrepiodes and Pleurothallis quadrifida (=P. longissima).  The P. quadrifida was purchased from a Hawaiian grower that I know (Kawamoto Orchids) who does not specialize in pleurothallids, but grows a few of the hardier ones.  I don’t know how much of this information will be helpful, but here it is!

Linda