pleurothallid-l - RE: [pleurothallid-l] hello everyone

  • From: "Linda Sedlacek" <lmg6534@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
  • To: <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [pleurothallid-l] hello everyone
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:26:14 -0400

Hi, I'm a new comer to the whole pleurothallid thing. I've been told
that I should seek psychiatric help for even considering growing
pleurothallids here in Florida. I've always considered myself a little
insane, so I guess pleurothallids work well for me. I don't know what
it is about pleurothallids that has me so hooked. I guess it's the fact
that they are so bizarre and so difficult to grow in Florida. I love a
good challenge! I have a very small collection ... for now. I have 3
Pleurothallis spp. (Pleurothallis ornata, P. longissima, and P.
restrepiodes) and 1 Dracula sp. (Dracula erythrochaete). I'm keeping
them in a 55-gallon aquarium that we just set up. It still needs a lot
of tweaking to get the humidity, temperature, and air circulation right.

I'm curious though, what's this whole frog thing? Do the pleurothallids
actually grow better with frogs or do pleurothallids grow well in
approximately the same environment as frogs?

One still learning,
Linda