piw - Re: PIW Relationships Modelling

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: "Marco Stahl" <marco.stahl AT gmx.net>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: PIW Relationships Modelling
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:31:00 +0200 (MEST)

> Von: Sean Maley <semaley AT yahoo.com>
> > Example:
> >
> > entity | parent
> > ---------------
> > creature NULL
> > animal creature
> > plant creature
> > bean plant
> > hemp plant
>
> Where searches represent the fundamental activity with
> the dataset, OLAP, we may consider keeping the schema
> denormalized; creature_type: A, M, V (animal, mineral,
> vegetable) rather than get into hierarchical data
> sets.
>
> --------------------
> |creature_dimension|
> --------------------
> |creature_key | : hemp, bean, etc
> |creature_type_key | : A, M, V
> |ground_depth |
> |height |
> |.... |
> --------------------

Thats for sure faster and easier to implement.
But I'm a friend of putting so much knowlege as possible into the modell and
the "source database".
(And i'm influenced maybe to much from objectorientated programming)

Something like

entity | output
----------------------
Leguminosae nitrogen
animal shit

would simplefy the adding of new plants(and other entitys), creating
patterns for groups of plants(and other entitys), adding/changing
properties/patterns for whole plant(entity)groups.

If the system is to slow in the end, we can use cached demormalized , "flat"
entity/input/output/whatever-tables for increasing search-speed.
There is no reason to go through the hierarchy every time but its good to
have the hierarchy in the background.

Saludos, Marco

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More +++