piw - Re: [piw] Formal Spec

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Ed Hynes <ehynes AT acm.org>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [piw] Formal Spec
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:49:04 -0500

On Feb 8, 2005, at 5:16 AM, Richard Morris wrote:

It seems like a formal spec is fast becoming a priority.

I'm not sure if an XML DTD is the right way to approach this. Mainly because its hard to understand for lay people.

I'd recommend using an XML Schema over an XML DTD for defining the database. DTDs are a product of XMLs SGML heritage, which was document oriented, whereas Schemas were developed with database type applications in mind. Neither is likely to be very clear to lay people unfortunately.

Regards,
Ed

  • [piw] Formal Spec, Richard Morris, 02/08/2005
    • Re: [piw] Formal Spec, Ed Hynes, 02/08/2005