person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Too late to Split?

  • From: Susan Hodges <susanjhodges AT gmail.com>
  • To: Person_County_Beekeepers_Association AT mailman1.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [PCBA] Too late to Split?
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 10:18:07 -0400

We are new beekeepers. We installed 2 nuc colonies on April 10.  They have done really well. Both brood boxes are almost full of brood and honey. One has 2 frames left to pull and the other has almost finished all 8 frames in the top box.  That colony has swarm cells on the bottom of the frames in the top box.We added a honey super to this hive on Saturday   Is it too late to split this colony to prevent a swarm?  Anything else we can do?

We do not have the equipment on hand to start a new colony, but we could get some. Will this rain hold off a swarm for a couple of days?

Thanks for your input
Susan Hodges

  • [PCBA] Too late to Split?, Susan Hodges, 05/22/2017