person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Bees in kids pool

  • From: Svetlana Brooks <svetlana.ruchev AT gmail.com>
  • To: person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [PCBA] Bees in kids pool
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:40:25 -0400

Dear members of PCBA,

I wonder if you could you help me with a problem. We have a little plastic
mini-pool in the yard that our kids play in. It is connected to a hose so
that we can turn a "sprayer" in it. I regularly change water in there and
wash it. For the last few days there was no water in it, but it was not very
well washed, and a little water has been leaking through the hose connection.
So today we discovered that quite a few bees were there drinking water from
the hose connection. We tried to hush them away, to turn the sprayer on, I
washed the pool thoroughly, but they just seem to like it and do not want to
leave. About a dozen bees at a time are flying over the pool or are drinking
the water in it. I don't want my toddlers to get stung, but I don't know how
to hush the bees away.

Would be very thankful for your advice.

Best wishes,
Svetlana Brooks