person_county_beekeepers_association - Re: [PCBA] Travelling Bees

  • From: Scott Bowers <professionalslug AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: paul childers <cpc3298 AT gmail.com>, Person_County_Beekeepers_Association AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [PCBA] Travelling Bees
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 14:28:36 -0400

As someone who just moved from Asheville last summer, perhaps the biggest threat to your hives this year will be the bear population in the mountains. I'm not sure if you're putting them near Black Mountain, which is probably the richest sourwood area in the state, but the bear population is at all-time high in that area of the mountains and many of the keepers over there that I've talked with have either lost or have had heavily damaged hives this year from bear attacks. If you're taking your hives to an electrified secure lot, then you may want to line the electric fence with peanut butter, too. Most electric fences fail to deter bear hides, so it's best to bait the wires to encourage shocks of the nose or tongue, which will certainly deter them.