person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Travelling Bees

  • From: paul childers <cpc3298 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Person_County_Beekeepers_Association AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [PCBA] Travelling Bees
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 11:26:23 -0400

I have a question or two regarding the transporting of bees to another location to obtain honey.  I have an opportunity for my bees to make honey in the mountains. I have some questions regarding this listed below and any input you could provide would be helpful. If you can think of any other suggestions from first hand experience, that would be great.

1) Any suggestions on the best way to transport a couple of hives 4 hours to minimize stress and death of the bees?

2) What would be the best strategy to minimize the number of trips to check on the bees?  Super the hives with deeps instead of mediums?

3) To lighten the load would you only transport frames of brood/bees or would you need to take frames of honey as well?

4) Anything else?

Thanks,
Paul Childers