person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Follow-up to panel discussions

  • From: Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>
  • To: PCBA <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Follow-up to panel discussions
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 12:02:47 -0400

I enjoyed the questions and discussions at last night's PCBA meeting and hope everybody else did too. I especially enjoyed Dave Eckert's comments since he has a lot of wisdom to share but he doesn't get out on the speaker circuit. Maybe we can coax him to come back since now he knows where we are.

I mentioned some articles that have a little more information on several of the topics. All of these can be found on the Bailey Bee Supply website under "Articles", <here>.

"What's the deal with oxalic acid?" (explains how and when OA can be legally applied)

"How Might We Smite Mites?" (describes other mite treatments that are more effective and more appropriate for our area than OA)

"Yum Yum, Eat 'Em Up!" (discusses why we feed and when we can stop)

"Controlling winter losses" (explains my 3-legged approach for reducing/eliminating winter losses)

"A few more wintering tips" (lists some helpful bits that aren't critical but should be useful)

"Making splits without bananas" (lists some things to keep in mind about making splits)

"The flip side of making splits" (discusses why, when and how to combine colonies)

Also, the Purdue Cooperative Extension 4-H guides that Todd mentioned can be found at:

Helpers Guide

Level I: Understanding the Honey Bee

Level II: Working with Honey Bees

Level III: Advanced Beekeeping Methods

I hope this helps!

Randall

  • [PCBA] Follow-up to panel discussions, Randall Austin, 05/20/2016