person_county_beekeepers_association - Re: [PCBA] Bee Package Release

  • From: Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>
  • To: Whitney Barnes <spud1296 AT charter.net>, person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [PCBA] Bee Package Release
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 10:50:07 -0400

That's a nice website Whitney. Thanks!

There are a million ways to feed and they all work. A couple of suggestions for folks who may be like me:

At my house, our hot water is child-safe so isn't "piping hot" out of the tap. I boil water in a large pot (like a canning pot). When it boils I REMOVE IT FROM THE HEAT and add sugar in the proportions the instructions indicate (for spring, half and half, either by volume or weight [the difference isn't important]). I don't mix up huge batches at a time -- only a couple of gallons each, enough to feed right then (I don't store it). That's just me.

It is important to NEVER COOK THE SUGAR. Doing so can create a byproduct that is harmful to bees. So remove the boiling-hot water from the heat before adding sugar.

Let the sugar syrup cool before putting it on the bees. A half hour to an hour is usually plenty of time for it to be cool enough to leave your finger in it, which should be cool enough not to harm the bees.

The proportions of sugar and water for spring and fall are "close enough" amounts. The bees won't die if we make the syrup a bit too thin or a bit too thick. Good enough is good enough.

Folks may want to read a short article <here> on feeding, which explains WHY we must feed packages even though the spring nectar flow is on.

Randall Austin