person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Fwd: [NCSBA-Chapters] NCSU Apiculture update - be part of the 'swarm collective'

  • From: Mary Deitz <mdeitz625 AT gmail.com>
  • To: LIST SERV <Person_County_Beekeepers_Association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Fwd: [NCSBA-Chapters] NCSU Apiculture update - be part of the 'swarm collective'
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 15:09:30 -0400

FYI
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David R. Tarpy via ncsba-chapters-list <ncsba-chapters-list AT rtpnet.org>
Date: Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM
To: County Listserv <ncsba-chapters-list AT rtpnet.org>
Cc: NCSBA Executive Committee <ncsba-list AT rtpnet.org>

Hi everyone,

As the summer heats up, our bees are stabilizing but the varroa mites are starting to ramp up their populations. Every good beekeeper therefore monitors for mite levels in their hives, so why not share that information?!

Our new citizen science initiative, called the NCSU Swarm Collective, aims to do just that. We hope to gather information from beekeepers everywhere about what mite-management strategies they're using and how effective they are. More information can be found at:

http://entomology.ces.ncsu.edu/apiculture/ncsu-swarm-collective/

To take part, you only need a pair of hives, your standard mite-monitoring equipment (sticky boards and sugar-shake jars), and the downloadable data sheet to take notes. We also discussed the project at length in our latest apiculture webinar, so you can also watch that at your convenience. The first mite measurements need to be taken sometime in July, so time is of the essence if you wish to participate!

Feel free to broadcast widely, and let us know if you have any questions. Don't pass up this opportunity to be part of a large-scale research project by beekeepers to help beekeepers!

Sincerely, David

******************************
David R. Tarpy
Professor and Extension Apiculturist
Department of Entomology, Campus Box 7613
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC  27695-7613
TEL: (919) 515-1660
FAX: (919) 515-7746