person_county_beekeepers_association - Re: [PCBA] Termite treatments and bees

  • From: Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>
  • To: Lynn S Wilson <WILSONLS AT ESINC.NET>
  • Cc: Person County Beekeepers <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PCBA] Termite treatments and bees
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:34:42 -0400

Lynn,

I don't know anything special about these (I can't even pronounce them), but if they aren't on flowering blooms and they aren't in themselves attractive to bees (i.e. not sweet) then the bees won't come in contact with the nasty bits.

A quick internet search reveals:
Altraset doesn't have a taste or smell so shouldn't be attractive to bees. The termites pick it up by walking through it. It appears to be quite safe for the environment. The label is <here>.
Sentracom seems to be more of a method than a specific treatment. It uses enclosed bait stations so there doesn't seem to be any way for bees to have access. Some information is <here>.

From this, I wouldn't worry about either of these at all, at least not with respect to bees. There can't be harm without exposure.

Randall Austin