person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Question for Today

  • From: donnasteen AT yahoo.com
  • To: PCBA List Serve <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Question for Today
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:04:09 -0800 (PST)

Background/Update:
I have one weak hive and one weaker hive. :(  In the fall I made a sugar pie (cake) for each.  I can't tell what the smallest hive has eaten from the under side.  The larger hive has eaten the complete "sugar pie."  I gave them another "sugar pie" yesterday, and last week I gave both hives about a 4x4 piece of pollen patty cut into two pieces.  Yesterday bees were on the pollen patties in both hives.  And the larger hive was flying but a rare one came back with pollen.  The smaller hive wasn't flying except for an occasional bee.

Question:  Should I be looking for eggs before we go into a cold February and March?
My confusion:
    I don't want to disturb them unnecessarily.
    The NCSBA Calendar says Red Maples blooming by early February.
    And we are to have the hives ready--checking for disease, food supply, "and if the queen is laying."
    If it is COLD in February, should I be doing any checking TODAY?  Would there be eggs today?
    I have, of course, supplied them with food and am not afraid to quickly add food during a cold Feb.
    BUT DO YOU REALLY LOOK FOR EGGS DURING A COLD FEBRUARY??

Bottom Line:  What should I do today since it is so warm?

Question: Should I combine even now my weakest colony with my medium strength colony?

NOTE:  Mr. Bailey from Bailey Bee Supply Co. (bought out Tapp) told me even now I should combine my very weak hive with my stronger hive.

BUT that means finding and killing the queen of the weak hive, which I have never done and would be experimenting -- learning how to do.  Maybe that would be a good experience for me!

BUT, I also fear it would cause trauma to my other hive which isn't all that big itself--so I don't want to have them use up their energy "welcoming a new colony."

I'll appreciate someone straightening out my confusion.

I think veteran bee keepers would trash both my colonies, but I want to see if it is possible to save them.

Thanks,
Donna

PS I know I may not get a response till it is too late for today. I sought for answers yesterday, and didn't expect it to be so warm today.  No problem if no one sees this or has time for a short response.