person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Corrugated plastic can be upcycled to trap small hive beetles!

  • From: Lynn S Wilson <wilsonls AT esinc.net>
  • To: Person County Beekeepers <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: muriel AT orangecountync.gov
  • Subject: [PCBA] Corrugated plastic can be upcycled to trap small hive beetles!
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:08:50 -0500

Tip from Todd Warner, at Carolina Bees, on using Corrugated Plastic (old campaign signs to trap small hive beetles):

Begin forwarded message:

From: Todd Warner <todd AT carolinabees.com>
Date: November 20, 2012 1:23:46 PM EST
To: Lynn S Wilson <wilsonls AT esinc.net>
Subject: Re: [PCBA] corrugated plastic political campaign signs available!

We use 3x4 inch strips. You can use longer strips if you want, but it is a bit of overkill. Placed on top of the frames on top of the hive. Unless... you have a whole box of excess space, then maybe on top of the frames on top of the broodnest.

Anyway... go in every few days, or whenever you go back into the hives, and tap the material in order to drop all the trapped beetles into a small bucket of soapy water. Death to beetles! :)

-todd

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Lynn S Wilson <wilsonls AT esinc.net> wrote:
Todd, I remembered your suggestion about using old election signs to trap hive beetles, but not all the details on how to do it.   Can you help?

Thanks!  Lynn Wilson/Person County Beekeepers

--
Master Beekeeper - The Carolina Bee Companywww.CarolinaBees.com
NCSBA Piedmont Regional Director - www.ncbeekeepers.org

  • [PCBA] Corrugated plastic can be upcycled to trap small hive beetles!, Lynn S Wilson, 11/20/2012