person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Question for experienced bee keepers

  • From: donnasteen AT yahoo.com
  • To: PCBA List Serve <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Question for experienced bee keepers
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 18:08:41 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone know how to make fondant for bees to eat during the winter?

I've researched on the internet, and in one of my books, but there are conflicting reports.
One site says NEVER use Karo syrup. Yet the book says the fondant you buy is sugar and high fructose corn syrup (Karo syrup?)
I have seen numerous recipes--some with a long list of ingredients.
Several say adding Thymol or surgical spirit can prevent mold which can wipe out the bees.  But I question if this is necessary.

What I have read talks of feeding in "late Autumn" a 2:1 sugar syrup.  But what is considered "late Autumn?"
For winter they recommend Fondant.  But when does "winter" start? Isn't it too cold then to open a hive? And when does "winter" feed end and "spring" feed begin.  Seems like the queen starts laying in Feb. or March.  Can still be too cold to get into the hives?????

My hives are very weak and will need to be fed from now on, so that is why I am asking.
And when would I switch to a "spring" feed to stimulate brood growth and cell production.

One last question:  Is there some way of making sugar syrup so it doesn't crystallize.  My last batch crystallized over night.

Thanks for your help.
Donna Steen