permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [growingsmallfarms] Fwd: [sustagnet] Who will feed the world?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: sustagnet@googlegroups.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, sustain@groups.io
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [growingsmallfarms] Fwd: [sustagnet] Who will feed the world?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 18:52:02 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rachel Watersong <rachelwatersong@fastmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for sharing these resources!

I'm with you that a shift to smaller-scale "integrated farmsteads" is
ultimately the only way that humans will be able to continue to eat in a
post-industrial world (which is coming just down the pike). The
international community/movement of folks who use the word "permaculture"
represents, as far as I know, the most organized and coherent vision for
how to use traditional and indigenous technologies and systems theories to
create a world in which people are able to eat, play, rest, and find
shelter in collaboration with natural environments rather than in a way
that is self-destructive. Permanent agriculture- ways of living and
growing food that can continue indefinitely within an ecosystem.

I am also grateful for our local organic farmers, who are trying to feed
people (and make a living) in a way that reduces the poisoning destruction
of conventional farming methods.

And, I trust and hope that the space between these two perspectives-
permaculture and organic farming- is shrinking, as permaculture folks work
on making systems that can scale up a bit and recognizing that making a
living must (for now) be part of the equation, and organic farmers work on
incorporating methods and principles of permaculture into their farms bit
by bit.

With love and sweet potatoes,

Rachel Watersong

--