permaculture - [permaculture] Farming opportunity in Australia (posted to the Regenerative Agriculture Facebook group 1/11/2020.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: sustagnet@googlegroups.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Farming opportunity in Australia (posted to the Regenerative Agriculture Facebook group 1/11/2020.
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 04:02:25 -0500

Farming opportunity in Australia (posted to the Regenerative Agriculture
Facebook group 1/11/2020.
Kay Jay
<https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006773986194&__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARDsgd4OLdWGTXbFaUiGKpmEpDn5QNZ-h3y0uN1W-A3F2JiZOV33ytQFFVuENsye2rzqlmZVwWvYTUbO&hc_ref=ART2dYOUT7l-8D9Tb2AeMwtTo4-it-wS1z_npIPNfLlUt_Tg8Fmk-ICNxsy_e-ypffE&fref=nf>
‎ *to* Regenerative Agriculture
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/regenerativeagriculture/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf>
<https://www.facebook.com/#>
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006773986194
https://www.facebook.com/groups/regenerativeagriculture/ ·

Hello. Long post warning! We’re Mark and Kelly Brumley. We, with our young
daughter, live on Mark’s family’s farm in South Gippsland, Victoria,
Australia. We are passionate about farming, particularly the production of
chemical-free, grass-fed meat sold directly to consumers, and keen to
experiment with enterprise stacking and continue to work on improving soil
biology.

The original plan was for us to farm alongside Mark’s parents and over time
take on the running of the family farm. Due to unforeseen circumstances,
including conflicting personalities and the death of Mark’s mum from
cancer, this didn’t eventuate and Mark’s dad, whose own health is not
great, now wishes to sell the farm and move on.

We would love to purchase the farm but don’t have the finances to be able
to afford to do so on our own (we expect the property to be priced between
$900,000 and $1.1 million). So we are looking for another person or couple
interested in jointly purchasing and farming the place with us.

The farm is 155 acres, divided into 11 paddocks, in a reliable rainfall
area in the hills near Leongatha. The property is mostly gentle slopes with
a couple of steeper areas. It used to be run as a dairy before converting
to beef production in 1998 and currently runs 30-40 calving cows. The soil
is predominately red soil with lighter sandy soils in a few areas. The use
of chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides on the farm was mostly
phased out by the mid-90s and products such as dolomite, humus plus 4, fish
emulsion and liquid seaweed applied to the paddocks instead.

There are two houses on the property, each with their own stand-alone
off-the-grid solar power system. We renovated the original 100yr+ old
farmhouse and now live in it, while the other house is a newer (15yr old) 3
bedroom + study, brick veneer house with double garage. There is also ample
good shedding, a large fox-proof chook house and run, vegie gardens,
established fruit trees – apple, apricot, nectarine, plum, pear quince,
etc. with plenty of garden water supplied by a spring-fed former irrigation
dam (it, the creek and another dam provide stock water).

There is loads of potential to diversify depending on what your areas of
interest are: meat sheep, pigs, pastured poultry, tree crops – avocados
(we’re friends with a horticulturist currently establishing year round
avocado production on his nearby farm who has indicated his willingness to
mentor us), olives, fruit, timber, nuts; berries, bee-keeping, garlic – the
possibilities are nearly endless!

If this sounds like an opportunity that you or someone you know might be
seriously interested in, please pm me as we’d be keen to discuss things
further with you. Thanks, Kelly & Mark

[image: 81711195_2564740263761748_2088084937491087360_o.jpg]

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

JPEG image

  • [permaculture] Farming opportunity in Australia (posted to the Regenerative Agriculture Facebook group 1/11/2020., Lawrence London, 01/11/2020