permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Toby Hemenway: Thoughts on pc design, ecology and balance of nature

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Toby Hemenway: Thoughts on pc design, ecology and balance of nature
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 20:22:47 -0400

Input from others on agroecology:

knorth:

"I have seen agroecology scientific work in Mexico, Brazil and Cuba that is
far in advance of anything in the US. That is partly because in other
countries the scientific tradition is more likely to take a macroscopic,
systems view of phenomena that they study. In all applied sciences like
agriculture, that must mean taking seriously the fact that human society is
part of larger natural systems and must obey the laws of those systems -
the laws of energy and matter (known as the laws of thermodynamics) and
concepts like carrying capacity that govern the health and even survival of
all living systems. That means grounding all applied sciences in a
disciplined understanding of ecosystem science - how the ecosystems we live
in work as wholes. Just a few examples of a macroscopic approach are the
ways of doing science pioneered by Darwin, Odum, Marx and even political
economists of classical liberalism like and John Stuart Mill and Adam
Smith. Such holistic methods are now for generations embedded in
scientific tradition in other countries."

"My advice to prospective agroecologists: train with someone like Altieri
who knows better that to try to teach in a landgrant university, or study
agroecology in a country in the global south, at EcoSur in San Cristobal de
las Casas in Chiapas, Mexico, for example. "

"I argue that *ecosystems science* must become the master discipline of all
of science, including agroecology. Ecosystems science is a subset only
because most ecologists have been lured off into piecemeal, reductive
approaches that have characterized most of the way we do science for three
centuries."

"I welcome and appreciate Steven's call to reroot agroecology as a
discipline in the powerful meanings it has in ecosystems science. It is
unfortunate that we feel driven to relabel such powerful ecological
concepts with adjectives - 'deep agroecology', 'longterm sustainability' -
in the battle against dillution and cooptation. Instead we need to call for
all interested parties - general society, the agricultural science
community, farmers and the alternative agriculture movement - to reroot
their learning communities in the study of systems ecology, now
demonstrated to be the master discipline, without which most others have
limited explanatory value."

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com