permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The unsung permaculture pea: redbud tree. : Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The unsung permaculture pea: redbud tree. : Permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:58:57 -0400

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 12:14 PM, Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>
wrote:

> Along with Forsythia the Redbud is my sure sign that spring has sprung
> (that does not mean we won't have anymore frosts). I have both red blooms
> and white blooms on my red buds and am happy to know that I can eat the
> leaves and pods which is new information. Thank you Lawrence!

I had no idea they can be eaten either, Scott. I have one right on the
property line with my neighbor on the East. It looks like there are very
many annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees with parts that can be eaten.
It would be interesting to see a comprehensive list of all of them known to
be safe for consumption. Someone should write a book with this information
or at least do a website. Yes, now I remember, Plants For A Future is that
website. I am sure you remember Richard Morris. As for a book with this
information someone with the drive of the famous anthropologist and father
of the science of ethnobiology, Richard Evans Schultes, should write one.
After all, Schultes took the time to create a huge encyclopedia of
psychoactive plants of the world, a gigantic "coffee table"-sized work, in
fine print with thousands of photographs and drawings, that sold for
hundreds of dollars.
This is a project PFAF should take on. They could even do a gofundme to
raise money to pay contributors then reap vast profits to put back into
PFAF.
Yet another worthy permaculture project. Another one would consist of
cataloging all the different permaculture practices, methods and materials
used by all cultures around the world. This would incluse earthworks,
aquaculture, site management and development (i.e. terrace farming at
Ifugao), tools, crops, foods, dwelling, etc.

Take a look at the world today, witness the rise of corporate power and
dictatorial governments, and know that survival strategies for peaceful
people living in traditional communities participating in local food
production systems are at risk.

For entertainment here is the YouTube channel of a lady in, I think, Laos.
Before prepping a meal she often goes out into the bush and strips leaves
of trees and shrubs and pulls vines off trees to put in the dishes.
My Food My Lifestyle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6L279a0CRjzjN5jZbacRQg
an amazing collection of high quality videos she has put together; real
food (except for the msg)
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com