permaculture - [permaculture] Hippie Food: How Back-to-the-Landers, Longhairs, and Revolutionaries Changed the Way We Eat: Jonathan Kauffman: 9780062437303: Amazon.com: Books

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Hippie Food: How Back-to-the-Landers, Longhairs, and Revolutionaries Changed the Way We Eat: Jonathan Kauffman: 9780062437303: Amazon.com: Books
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 14:00:49 -0500

https://www.amazon.com/Hippie-Food-Back-Landers-Revolutionaries/dp/0062437305
Hippie Food: How Back-to-the-Landers, Longhairs, and Revolutionaries
Changed the Way We Eat
Hardcover – January 23, 2018
by Jonathan Kauffman
<https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1?ie=UTF8&text=Jonathan+Kauffman&search-alias=books&field-author=Jonathan+Kauffman&sort=relevancerank>
(Author)
An enlightening narrative history—an entertaining fusion of Tom Wolfe and
Michael Pollan—that traces the colorful origins of once unconventional
foods and the diverse fringe movements, charismatic gurus, and
counterculture elements that brought them to the mainstream and created a
distinctly American cuisine.
Food writer Jonathan Kauffman journeys back more than half a century—to the
1960s and 1970s—to tell the story of how a coterie of unusual men and women
embraced an alternative lifestyle that would ultimately change how modern
Americans eat. Impeccably researched, *Hippie Food* chronicles how the
longhairs, revolutionaries, and back-to-the-landers rejected the square
establishment of President Richard Nixon’s America and turned to a more
idealistic and wholesome communal way of life and food.
>From the mystical rock-and-roll cult known as the Source Family and its
legendary vegetarian restaurant in Hollywood to the Diggers’ brown bread in
the Summer of Love to the rise of the co-op and the origins of the organic
food craze, Kauffman reveals how today’s quotidian whole-foods
staples—including sprouts, tofu, yogurt, brown rice, and whole-grain
bread—were introduced and eventually became part of our diets. From coast
to coast, through Oregon, Texas, Tennessee, Minnesota, Michigan,
Massachusetts, and Vermont, Kauffman tracks hippie food’s journey from
niche oddity to a cuisine that hit every corner of this country. A slick
mix of gonzo playfulness, evocative detail, skillful pacing, and elegant
writing, *Hippie Food* is a lively, engaging, and informative read that
deepens our understanding of our culture and our lives today.
Editorial Reviews
Review

“An intelligently written narrative refreshingly free of personal
admonitions... Kauffman comprehensively presents the history and the
momentum of the organic food revolution while foraging for the keys to its
increasing desirability and crossover appeal. An astute, highly informative
food expose that educates without bias.” (Kirkus Reviews)

“An outstanding food and cultural history…In this informative, briskly
paced first book…Kauffman details how the concept of health food ‘evolved
in the kitchens of young baby boomers’…Kauffman is equally thorough in
tracing how these early innovators inspired the food co-ops and whole food
stores that exist today.” (Publishers Weekly *(starred review)*)
>From the Back Cover

*An enlightening narrative history—an entertaining fusion of Tom Wolfe and
Michael Pollan—that traces the colorful origins of once-unconventional
foods and the fringe movements, charismatic gurus, and counterculture
politics that brought them to the mainstream and created a distinctly
American cuisine*

Journey back a half century in time—to the 1960s and 1970s—with food writer
Jonathan Kauffman, who tells the story of how a coterie of unusual men and
women embraced an alternative diet that would ultimately change how modern
Americans eat. Impeccably researched, *Hippie Food* chronicles how the
longhairs, revolutionaries, and back-to-the-landers rejected the square
establishment of President Richard Nixon’s America and turned to a more
idealistic, wholesome, and communal way of eating.

>From the mystical rock-and-roll cult known as the Source Family and their
legendary vegetarian Hollywood restaurant, to the free brown bread served
by activists known as the Diggers in Haight-Ashbury during the Summer of
Love, to the rise of food co-ops and the origins of organic farming,
Kauffman reveals how quotidian staples such as sprouts, tofu, granola,
brown rice, and whole-grain bread became part of our diets. He tracks
hippie food’s journey from California to Oregon, Texas, Tennessee,
Minnesota, Michigan, Massachusetts, and Vermont, and from a niche oddity to
a cuisine eaten in every corner of this country.

A slick mix of gonzo playfulness, evocative detail, and elegant
writing, *Hippie
Food* is a lively and informative read that deepens our understanding of
our culture and our lives today.
See all Editorial Reviews
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/product-description/0062437305/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books&isInIframe=0>
------------------------------
Product details

- *Hardcover:* 352 pages
- *Publisher:* William Morrow (January 23, 2018)
- *Language:* English
- *ISBN-10:* 0062437305
- *ISBN-13:* 978-0062437303
- * Product Dimensions: * 6 x 1.1 x 9 inches
- *Shipping Weight:* 1.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies

<https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/shipping.html/ref=dp_pd_shipping?ie=UTF8&asin=0062437305&seller=ATVPDKIKX0DER>
)

Hippie Food
How Back-to-the-Landers, Longhairs, and Revolutionaries Changed the Way We
Eat
by Jonathan Kauffman
<https://www.harpercollins.com/cr-127625/jonathan-kauffman>
https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062437303/hippie-food
About the Book
An enlightening narrative history—an entertaining fusion of Tom Wolfe and
Michael Pollan—that traces the colorful origins of once unconventional
foods and the diverse fringe movements, charismatic gurus, and
counterculture elements that brought them to the mainstream and created a
distinctly American cuisine.

Food writer Jonathan Kauffman journeys back more than half a century—to the
1960s and 1970s—to tell the story of how a coterie of unusual men and women
embraced an alternative lifestyle that would ultimately change how modern
Americans eat. Impeccably researched, *Hippie Food* chronicles how the
longhairs, revolutionaries, and back-to-the-landers rejected the square
establishment of President Richard Nixon’s America and turned to a more
idealistic and wholesome communal way of life and food.

>From the mystical rock-and-roll cult known as the Source Family and its
legendary vegetarian restaurant in Hollywood to the Diggers’ brown bread in
the Summer of Love to the rise of the co-op and the origins of the organic
food craze, Kauffman reveals how today’s quotidian whole-foods
staples—including sprouts, tofu, yogurt, brown rice, and whole-grain
bread—were introduced and eventually became part of our diets. From coast
to coast, through Oregon, Texas, Tennessee, Minnesota, Michigan,
Massachusetts, and Vermont, Kauffman tracks hippie food’s journey from
niche oddity to a cuisine that hit every corner of this country.

A slick mix of gonzo playfulness, evocative detail, skillful pacing, and
elegant writing, *Hippie Food* is a lively, engaging, and informative read
that deepens our understanding of our culture and our lives today.

  • [permaculture] Hippie Food: How Back-to-the-Landers, Longhairs, and Revolutionaries Changed the Way We Eat: Jonathan Kauffman: 9780062437303: Amazon.com: Books, Lawrence London, 01/24/2018