permaculture - Re: [permaculture] First Global Atlas of Soil Bacteria | Technology Networks

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] First Global Atlas of Soil Bacteria | Technology Networks
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 19:58:27 -0500

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 4:02 PM, Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at> wrote:

> > The researchers found that just two percent of all bacterial taxa—or
> around
> > 500 individual species—consistently accounted for almost half of the soil
> > bacterial communities worldwide.
> >

> > Having been identified as both dominant and ubiquitous, these predictably
> > common bacteria can now be targeted for future study.
>
> Hm, this kind of science is a double edged sword, IMHO. While it might be
> good to gather all this data, and eventually maybe aid in the
> rehabilitation of destroyed soils and possibly other things as well, I am
> also sniffing dangers in there.

> One certaily being somehow similar to the vitamin and nutrient thing a few
> decades ago. Just because the other 98% of taxa are statistically
> represented in just very tiny amounts, some of them -or even most of them,
> who knows?- might be just as important for those microbioma to stay groovy.
> Also in some local soils some members of these 98% might comprise the bulk
> of specimen present.

Absolutely, so true. I like your way of thinking about this. To me it seems
typical of how we went about things during the begginings of the natural
agriculture movement, free thinking amongst free spirits. Now it's creative
permaculturists doing that to the max.

> Statistics is a bitch. Unfortunately way too many scientists used to
> oversimplify or transfer mechanistic models onto natural processes, luring
> them to jumping to conclusions. But let’s hope these days are over…

Yes. We need a broader approach to how to best practice natural farming
and permaculture planting. You forgot to mention AI, Georg. That is said to
be he next huge thing. Read what the CEO of Google said about AI. Also
medicine has latched onto the world of beneficial microbes as therapy and
maintenance of optimal health. Read about the Human Microbiome - see this
page of Google search results.
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+human+biome&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8. Example:
they have discovered that some microbes in the gut are responsible for
chronic despair. It seems a cure is readily available, probably probiotics
and prebiotics. Kraut, kim chee, kefir, yoghurt, kombuchs, miso, natto.