permaculture - [permaculture] Tip of the iceberg..

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, europeanpermaculturenetwork <europeanpermaculturenetwork@googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Tip of the iceberg..
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 12:21:50 +1300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: New Scientist <NewScientist@e.newscientist.com>
Date: 13 December 2017 at 07:32
Subject: Farmed salmon are deaf – and now we know why
To: stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com

Pursuit by the University of Melbourne offers the latest research news and
expert analysis from some of Australia’s brightest minds.

View
<http://view.e.newscientist.com/?qs=66ec9625947166d010c33bf48a940dfaea5b6a2da67b1e1ba9c05ff3831acbb2407fa525b9d7e6bfeb4948b48791b21ea0ccb0f5981eae51f93efee495a794290ee3edb4e0a15a555c71b5e5da056064>
in your browser | Add us
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622cdbb27d56bd0cc1c8403b2662f2f5989192fd6d873e9488584c80250e0341ee5ab58f21a189ab41dab74166423dfae02d>
to your address book or safe list
[image: NewScientist]
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622c5259c838e14b5ea6b0f7967b894b28a15a7bd8496afdd1e636b57ac3ae14d736c125721c76a9734835839082c25d0b85>
[image: University of Melbourne]
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622caa01af0cbd245e3f7efc6bff3b15381b6b5c88266d7e7909d14e14d3f193e472c38faac8927d275ccc8e9debbac73b15>

Every now and then *New Scientist* helps a carefully selected education
partner speak to our audience. Their support helps us produce the
high-quality journalism we bring you every week. We hope you find today’s
message relevant and useful.

[image: Salmon]
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622c0befaa31578e4cc844d2c30a0438914fc72412b48e4a5a6f4b4c874fee51a76b880dbdc0352a946fe663212d1f22be88>

*Farmed salmon are deaf – and now we know why*

Scientists have discovered why fast-growing farmed salmon are three times
more likely to be partially deaf than their wild relatives.

Researchers now know that deafness in farmed salmon is due to a deformity
in the ear, caused by accelerated growth in aquaculture.

*Learn more at Pursuit*
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622cf50ee4a3724f4b154179186232cd19633bcd16c84b7f93d02d47ed60dce039938ccaf213fbf354d4378e5cfb89705ccb>

Pursuit by the University of Melbourne offers the latest research news and
expert analysis from some of Australia’s brightest minds.

[image: Meditation]
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622c0328c154c3986c4066e0e169d371131ce569d5b09117c03227a27a1fd37c9c182d4272e5ca95afb09deca25c0ade6535>

What is mindfulness? Nobody really knows and that’s the problem
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622c0328c154c3986c4066e0e169d371131ce569d5b09117c03227a27a1fd37c9c182d4272e5ca95afb09deca25c0ade6535>Questions
have been asked about the quality of research into mindfulness and its
definitions.
[image: Gravitational Waves]
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622c59b682044bda57e6b866983f3d8c8a969575cfbf3fe307900ecaa8bf5b491d0ab484aab5344c5064eeb63bcd63f3f966>

Photon teleportation
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622c59b682044bda57e6b866983f3d8c8a969575cfbf3fe307900ecaa8bf5b491d0ab484aab5344c5064eeb63bcd63f3f966>
Beaming light particles between Earth and a satellite was a significant
step in quantum physics earlier this year, but without a laser telescope
the practical applications are limited.
[image: Jobs in 2027]
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622c59c1182a647dda4f1fbd7f15b326a883566249dc522b1211fae5dd8f03c9671159fba350b0f418f8258cec13da4d97d3>

The jobs of 2027
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622c59c1182a647dda4f1fbd7f15b326a883566249dc522b1211fae5dd8f03c9671159fba350b0f418f8258cec13da4d97d3>
In 10 years the jobs we’re familiar with now will change as new
technologies, like genome sequencing and AI, change how we work.

[image: World-changing research made possible by Melbourne]
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622cee49d942fbc14084dbb6a4c70868376cdeeed51c4b23f6414e8092ed7bdcd295758d532a96405144e142ecebf8c9deae>

* This email has been sent to stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com
* Unsubscribe
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622cca9242015e9b8e438fbe3e4536d93439b4c935e62a98c907c3acbc45dec7918b9c311a08360023de62eae0e2498981ee>
from further emails relating to miscellaneous products, services and
subscriptions from *New Scientist.*
* Read our privacy policy
<http://click.e.newscientist.com/?qs=d1c5d517b282622c44bf1caff64b6505352af204476b9cd7585978bd7459ead386d9b02390ca135d42639bc5009097cda73265b380cda105>

Disclaimer
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("Intended
Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, which is
privileged and confidential. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution,
copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person
other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or
criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended
Recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

We and our third party service providers may use cookies and other web
technologies in conjunction with this email. These technologies are used to
understand activity with this email and on certain portions of our website.
This enables us to improve our site, your experience on our site, and the
offerings that we may provide to you. If you do not want these technologies
placed on your device, please opt-out of receiving emails from us.

New Scientist Ltd
Registered Office: 25 Bedford Street, London, WC2E 9ES
<https://maps.google.com/?q=25+Bedford+Street,+London,+WC2E+9ES&entry=gmail&source=g>
Registered in England under Company No. 10644366
Australian Office: Suite 3, Level 11, 100 Walker Street, North Sydney NSW
2060
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Office:+Suite+3,+Level+11,+100+Walker+Street,+North+Sydney+NSW+2060&entry=gmail&source=g>
Registered in Australia under ABN 22 621 413 170

Kia ora Ehoa

[image: Picture]
*Steve Hart*
*Ecology Architect*
*Designer, Teacher, Builder of Ecologically Sustainable Resilient
Environments, through Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture
and Systems Ecology.​*
Skype: tipenemanawa
Phone: +64 220 75 62 11

Permaculture Global Design:
www.permacultureglobaldesign.org

The Permaculture International College
www.permaculturecollege.eu
https://permaculturecollege.academia.edu/SteveHart

www.permaculturepartnerships.com

  • [permaculture] Tip of the iceberg.., Steve Hart, 12/14/2017