permaculture - [permaculture] 1731 – Peace, Permaculture, and The Gift with Kai Sawyer | The Permaculture Podcast

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] 1731 – Peace, Permaculture, and The Gift with Kai Sawyer | The Permaculture Podcast
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 01:36:14 -0500

1731 – Peace, Permaculture, and The Gift with Kai Sawyer | The Permaculture
Podcast
http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/2017/1731/

The Permaculture Podcast <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com>
with Scott Mann

- Home <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/>
- ABOUT <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/about/>
- ARCHIVES <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/archives/>
- CONTACT <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/contact-scott/>
- RESOURCES <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/resources/>
- EVENTS <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/events/>
- SUPPORT <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/support/>
- The Possibility Handbook <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/book/>
- SPONSORS <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/sponsors/>

- Home <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com>
- Interview <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/category/interview-2/>
- 1731 – Peace, Permaculture, and The Gift with Kai Sawyer

1731 – Peace, Permaculture, and The Gift with Kai Sawyer
November 10, 2017 <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/2017/1731/>Leave a
Comment <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/2017/1731/#respond> Written
by *Scott <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/author/admin/>*
Facebook <http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/#facebook>Google+
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/#google_plus>Twitter
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/#twitter>Pinterest
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/#pinterest>Tumblr
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/#tumblr>Blogger Post
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/#blogger_post>StumbleUpon
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/#stumbleupon>LinkedIn
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/#linkedin>Reddit
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/#reddit>

<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/1731.jpg>*Image:
Kai Sawyer at the Peace and Permaculture Dojo.*
*(*Source:*YouTube: Peace and Permaculture Dojo Tour
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA_ZB7k3nTA>)
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/1731.jpg>*

“The more generous we are, the more relaxed we’ll be, the more wealthy
we’ll feel, and the more gifts these will cycle.” – Kai Sawyer

Click here to download the episode.
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Episode1731.mp3>

As we embody our values and live ever differently, how do we change the
communities we are a part of as we become ever more apart from them?

This is one of many thoughts I have as we enter this conversation with Kai
Sawyer, as we look at his life as a practitioner embracing peace,
permaculture, and the gift economy to bring about social and cultural
change in Japan.

Find out more about Kai Sawyer and his work at:

Tokyo Urban Permaculture <https://www.tokyourbanpermaculture.com/english>
Living Permaculture <https://livingpermaculture.blogspot.com/>

Something Kai wanted me to mention, that didn’t make it into our
conversation is the ongoing impact and questions as a result of the
Fukushima Daiichi power plant meltdown.

Something I didn’t know, that Kai shared in his follow-up email, is that
Fukushima prefecture was one of the leading organic food growing regions in
Japan.

What happens then, to the organic or natural farmer who carefully and with
a lot of love, grew beautiful soil for decades that is now contaminated
with cesium 134 and 137? Who will buy their produce? Who will help them
rebuild their entire life?

Also in Fukushima prefecture was an innovative permaculture project at Iitate
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iitate,_Fukushima>village that sought to
redesign the community using permaculture to reverse the process of rural
depopulation, to keep residents in this rural location rather than heading
to the cities.

To Kai’s knowledge, it is the only initiative of the kind in Japan, one
where an entire village was a permaculture design site. As you might
imagine, the proximity to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant and the
ways the wind blew, high levels of radiation fell on the village, and their
entire village was evacuated by the government.

A project to preserve the community, destroyed by a single disaster,
responded to with modern practices now so ingrained they seem traditional
and the only path forward.

How could this situation have been different if more communities in Japan
were transformed by the whole systems design of permaculture and a chance
to the cultural and social structures and consciousness?

As we grow as practitioners, how can we change these ways of thinking and
organizing in our own communities and, in turn, change the way they are
governed and inhabited?

If you have thoughts on this or anything else Kai and I spoke about, I’d
love to hear from you.

Call: 717-827-6266
Email: show@thepermaculturepodcast.com
Write:

The Permaculture Podcast
P.O. Box 16
Dauphin, PA 17018

>From here the next interview is with Robyn Rosenfeldt, as we talk about the
newest Australian permaculture periodical, PIP Magazine.

Until then, spend each day creating the world you want to live in by taking
care of Earth, yourself, and your community.

VerdEnergia Pacifica PDC Giveaway
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/costarica/>

*Subscribe to Permaculture Magazine, North America
<https://permaculturemag.org/>*
Receive a 25% discount on a *digital subscription* with the code:
*PMNA25TPP*

*Resources*
Tokyo Urban Permaculture <https://www.tokyourbanpermaculture.com/english>
Living Permaculture <https://livingpermaculture.blogspot.com/>
Peace and Permaculture Dojo Tour (Spring 2017)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA_ZB7k3nTA> (YouTube)

The Center for Nonviolent Communication <https://www.cnvc.org/>
Nonviolent Communication
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonviolent_Communication> (Wiki)
Moved By Love, the Memoirs of Vinoba Bhave
<http://www.mkgandhi.org/movedbylove/moved_bylove.htm> (Read Online at
MKGhandi.org <http://mkghandi.org/>)
Bullock’s Permaculture Homestead <http://www.permacultureportal.com/>
Humanure Handbook / Joe Jenkins <http://humanurehandbook.com/>

Iitate, Fukushima <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iitate,_Fukushima>, a
village scale permaculture project in Japan, evacuated due to the events
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/events/> at the Fukushima Daiichi
Power Plants.
Living On The Edge of Fukushima
<https://newmatilda.com/2011/07/05/living-edge-fukushima/>

Necessary Simplicity
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/2015/episode-1523-ethan-hughes/>,
the first two interviews with Ethan Hughes combined into one.
The Art of Frugal Hedonism
<http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/2017/1710/>, an interview with Annie
Raser-Rowland about simplicity and living well.

  • [permaculture] 1731 – Peace, Permaculture, and The Gift with Kai Sawyer | The Permaculture Podcast, Lawrence London, 11/11/2017