permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ecogeddon, something to think about

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Carolyn Anderson <cschampagne@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ecogeddon, something to think about
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 19:36:24 -0400

Wow! Your community sounds a lot like ours. We're also pretty isolated
here, although Asheville has become a destination city, which is hurting
more than it's helping.
I really like the idea of gathering to celebrate victories. That could be
something that will bring folks to the table. I will change course now to
focus on that and introduce more opportunities for people to get involved
with a vision in mind of a positive outcome that they can see . I guess
working from the ground up (literally) takes that slow and steady wins the
race approach. I get so passionate about the urgent need for action, and
it's hard to see how the slow way can win this race. The resistance is
like running into a hurricane. Just standing up sometimes feels hard, much
less moving forward. And still, we persist!

This has been so helpful, Diane. Thank you so much. I hope others on the
list benefit from our conversation too.

Take care,
Carolyn

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Diane Frances <diane.frances@verizon.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> treating-soil-like-dirt-fatal-mistake-human-life>,
>>> driven largely by poor farming practice, we have just 60 years of
>>> harvests
>>> left
>>> <https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/only-60-years-of-
>>> farming-left-if-soil-degradation-continues/>.
>>> And this is before the Global Land Outlook report
>>> <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/12/third-
>>> of-earths-soil-acutely-degraded-due-to-agriculture-study>,
>>> published in September, found that productivity is already declining on
>>> 20%
>>> of the world’s cropland.
>>>
>>> The impact on wildlife of changes in farming practice (and the expansion
>>> of
>>> the farmed area) is so rapid and severe that it is hard to get your head
>>> round the scale of what is happening. A study published this week
>>> <http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal
>>> .pone.0185809
>>> >
>>> in the journal Plos One reveals that flying insects surveyed on nature
>>> reserves in Germany have declined by 76% in 27 years. The most likely
>>> cause
>>> <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/18/
>>> warning-of-ecological-armageddon-after-dramatic-plunge-in-
>>> insect-numbers>
>>> of this Insectageddon is that the land surrounding those reserves has
>>> become hostile to them: the volume of pesticides and the destruction of
>>> habitat have turned farmland into a wildlife desert.
>>>
>>> It is remarkable that we need to rely on a study in Germany to see what
>>> is
>>> likely to have been happening worldwide: long-term surveys of this kind
>>> simply do not exist elsewhere. This failure reflects distorted priorities
>>> in the funding of science. There is no end of grants for research on how
>>> kill insects, but hardly any money for discovering what the impacts of
>>> this
>>> killing might be. Instead, the work has been left – as in the German case
>>> –
>>> to recordings by amateur naturalists.
>>>
>>> But anyone of my generation (ie in the second bloom of youth) can see and
>>> feel the change. We remember the “moth snowstorm” that filled the
>>> headlight
>>> beams of our parents’ cars on summer nights (memorialised in Michael
>>> McCarthy’s lovely book of that name
>>> <https://www.hodder.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781444792775>). Every
>>> year I collected dozens of species of caterpillars and watched them grow
>>> and pupate and hatch. This year I tried to find some caterpillars for my
>>> children to raise. I spent the whole summer looking and, aside from the
>>> cabbage whites on our broccoli plants, found nothing in the wild but one
>>> garden tiger larva. Yes, one caterpillar in one year. I could scarcely
>>> believe what I was seeing – or rather, not seeing.
>>>
>>> Insects, of course, are critical to the survival of the rest of the
>>> world. Knowing what we now know, there is nothing surprising about the