permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Access to unpatented seeds, Kent Whealy and the Seed Savers Exchange

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Access to unpatented seeds, Kent Whealy and the Seed Savers Exchange
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:23:53 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: Access to unpatented seeds, Kent Whealy and the Seed Savers
Exchange
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, sanet-mg@googlegroups.com

Svalbard Doomsday Vault: Biopiracy by U. N. Treaty

https://ppjg.me/2010/10/04/svalbard-doomsday-vault-biopiracy-by-u-n-treaty/

October 4, 2010

ppjg <https://ppjg.wordpress.com> GMO
<https://ppjg.me/category/farming-food/gmo/>, united nations
<https://ppjg.me/category/united-nations/> Amy Goldman
<https://ppjg.me/tag/amy-goldman/>, FAO <https://ppjg.me/tag/fao/>, genetic
preservation <https://ppjg.me/tag/genetic-preservation/>, global crop
diversity <https://ppjg.me/tag/global-crop-diversity/>, heirloom seeds
<https://ppjg.me/tag/heirloom-seeds/>, Kent Wheatly
<https://ppjg.me/tag/kent-wheatly/>, seed savers
<https://ppjg.me/tag/seed-savers/>, Svalbard seed vault
<https://ppjg.me/tag/svalbard-seed-vault/>, united nations
<https://ppjg.me/tag/united-nations/> 9 Comments
<https://ppjg.me/2010/10/04/svalbard-doomsday-vault-biopiracy-by-u-n-treaty/#comments>

Speech delivered by Kent Whealy regarding the theft of heirloom seeds, the
results of many years of heirloom seed saving, now deposited into the
Svalbard Seed vault and controlled now by the FAO. This collection was the
former Seed-savers Exchange.

*Goldman and Fowler are being dishonest – to Seed Savers’ Members and in
the avalanche of self-promotion from the Global Crop Diversity Trust, the
entity that oversees Svalbard – by concealing the fact that being deposited
in Svalbard places Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection under the control
of the United Nations’ FAO Treaty, which was specifically designed to
facilitate access by corporate breeders.*

*__________________________________________*

For past three years, Amy Goldman (Chair of the Board of the Seed Savers
Exchange) and Cary Fowler (Executive Director of the Global Crop Diversity
Trust) have been depositing portions of Seed Savers Members’ Seed
Collection into the Svalbard Global Seed Vault in the far north of Norway.
Goldman and Fowler are being dishonest – to Seed Savers’ Members and in the
avalanche of self-promotion from the Global Crop Diversity Trust, the
entity that oversees Svalbard – by concealing the fact that being deposited
in Svalbard places Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection under the control
of the United Nations’ FAO Treaty, which was specifically designed to
facilitate access by corporate breeders.

Goldman and Fowler targeted an exemplary U.S. nonprofit in order to gain
control of and then misappropriate Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection of
26,000 varieties, by far the best collection of heirloom garden crops in
the world. The grassroots movement to collect those genetic resources
started 35 years ago. In 1975 I founded the Seed Savers Exchange (SSE) and
for 33 years was its Executive Director. I created and published the
nonprofit organization’s yearbooks which have listed the names and
addresses of up to 1,000 SSE Members who annually offered samples of 12,000
garden varieties to other gardeners and farmers.

During the 33 years that I guided Seed Savers, 3,500 Members offered 33,000
family heirlooms and rare garden varieties through the annual editions of
Seed Savers Yearbook. Over the years SSE’s Members have distributed an
estimated 1,000,000 samples of rare garden seeds often on the verge of
extinction. That selfless sharing has resulted in SSE’s beautiful flavorful
heirlooms spreading rapidly throughout Farmers’ Markets and CSAs
nationwide, being widely used by chefs sourcing local foods, and has
provided the foundations and resources for numerous alternative seed
companies. In 1986 I made the first of five land purchases for SSE
(eventually totaling 886 acres) which established Heritage Farm near
Decorah, Iowa as SSE’s national headquarters. Nonprofit donations from
SSE’s Members quickly paid off Heritage Farm’s land contracts and also
provided the majority of the funds for a $600,000 complex of offices,
greenhouses and seed storage facilities.

Each year many of SSE’s Members and thousands of visitors tour Heritage
Farm’s genetic preservation projects, which include: 26 acres of certified
organic Preservation Gardens; Historic Orchard containing 700 varieties of
pre-1900 apples and 200 hardy grapes; and two herds of endangered Ancient
White Park cattle, the rarest breed of cattle in the English-speaking
world. (You might say they are extremely rare, as opposed to medium-rare. .
. . .sorry. . . . .sometimes I just can’t help myself.)

SSE started maintaining a central seed collection in 1981, as a back-up
strategy so that SSE’s Members could always get their seeds back if lost.
Those members generously donated their family’s seeds to Seed Savers
Members’ Seed Collection which steadily grew to 26,000 rare varieties by
2007. Each summer 10% of those varieties were multiplied on a 10-year
rotation (about 2,000 varieties annually) and those newly grown seeds were
made available to SSE’s Members and the gardening public. SSE’s system of
growouts was specifically designed so that SSE’s Members would have
revolving access to new seed of the entire collection over a 10-year period.

Seed Savers quickly became recognized as the greatest source of unique
plant material that North American gardeners have ever known. Numerous
awards for the genetic preservation 7 projects I initiated have included a
MacArthur Fellowship and Russia’s N. I. Vavilov Medal for organizing and
funding 12 plant collection expeditions from 1993 through 1997 in
genetically rich, but critically endangered areas of the former Soviet
Union and Eastern Europe.

During SSE’s annual growouts, hundreds of exceptional garden varieties
were discovered. Nonprofits are allowed to generate “project-related
revenue” if aligned with their mission, so in 1999 SSE started selling
packets of heirloom seeds through Seed Savers Catalog. My stated goal was
for the revenue from seed sales to eventually cover the annual costs of
permanently maintaining Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection. By 2006, only
eight years later, net revenue from seed sales had already grown to $1.2
million and was supporting 72% of SSE’s operations. (And only two years
after that, due to the economic meltdown, SSE’s net seed sales doubled to
$2.4 million.) Financial self-sufficiency was in sight and the final step
of building endowments to always support SSE’s genetic preservation
projects had just begun.

Amy Goldman and Cary Fowler, however, both had their own personal agendas
for the Seed Savers Exchange and for Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection.
But how could they possibly take over Seed Savers, especially at the height
of its success, in order to place Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection in
his Svalbard Doomsday Vault, when they both knew that I would never agree?
That involved years of manipulation and deceit, which all began in 2002
when Amy Goldman was asked to be on SSE’s Board of Directors because of her
funding of SSE’s projects.

For years she sat silently in the background at board meetings, while
quietly starting to fund the projects of existing board members and even
some of SSE’s Advisors, and later placed others financially beholden to her
on SSE’s Board.

In March of 2007, Amy Goldman became Chair of the Board, after
“temporarily” removing me from SSE’s Board of Directors. On October 21,
2007, board members Amy Goldman and Neil Hamilton, plus a labor lawyer and
Goldman’s bodyguard, terminated me without warning, locked me out of my
office and banished me from SSE’s property, all based on the fabricated
charge that I had “built a storage shed without the permission of SSE’s
Board.”

I was asked to sign a truly disgusting 13-page Separation and
Confidentiality Agreement that would have paid me salary and benefits worth
$240,000, but only if I agreed to never say a word about Seed Savers, never
again speak about seeds, give up all access to and usage of my speeches,
writings, photos, correspondence and research, and never again be on SSE’s
Board.

I refused, unwilling to sign away my voice or to take a penny of their
hush money, appalled at their attempt to use SSE’s financial resources in
that manner.

Neil Hamilton is the Director of the Agricultural Law Center at Drake
University whose “Garden Policy Conference” at Drake University Law School
in October 2006 was funded by the Lillian Goldman Charitable Trust (Amy
Goldman is the sole trustee). For three years Neil Hamilton has legally
empowered and protected Amy Goldman, and his legal expertise has enabled
this entire fiasco.

Only three weeks after I was fired, SSE’s Board published extensively
revised Bylaws that eliminated ARTICLE III – Members Rights, Benefits and
Obligations, taking control away from the staff set up to serve SSE’s
Members and giving it to Goldman. SSE’s revised Bylaws also made
foreign-based board members legal, which allowed her to place Cary Fowler
on SSE’s Board. Together they proudly announced that 485 varieties from
Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection would be deposited at Svalbard’s
official opening in February of 2008 and that more annual deposits would
follow until about 9,000 out of SSE’s 26,000 varieties (only those unique
to SSE’s collection) have been deposited. Later the Lillian Goldman
Charitable Trust made a $1,000,000 donation to the Global Crop Diversity
Trust, which most 8 likely got Amy Goldman the attention and publicity she
so craves at Svalbard’s one-year anniversary dinner.

None of these major organizational changes or the financial relationships
between SSE’s board members have ever been disclosed in SSE’s nonprofit tax
reports, as required by law. SSE’s Board has refused to make public the
documents signed with Cary Fowler and has lied to SSE’s Members through
their publications and website about the true nature of Svalbard and the
obligations the FAO Treaty places on SSE. All depositors must sign the
Svalbard Depositors Agreement which places the deposited varieties under
control of the United Nations’ International Treaty on Plant Genetic
Resources for Food and Agriculture (the FAO Treaty), Article 7 of which
states,

“The Depositor agrees to make available from their own stocks samples of
accessions of the deposited plant genetic resources and associated
available non-confidential information to other natural or legal persons in
accordance with the following terms and conditions. . . . .” The agreement
goes on to dictate that “original samples”

(meaning all other seeds of the varieties deposited in Svalbard that are
also in storage in the seed vaults at Heritage Farm) are also covered by
the FAO Treaty. By signing the treaty, SSE cannot refuse any requests for
seeds of deposited varieties from “Contracting Parties.” Corporate breeders
now can, as a right, request those varieties from SSE’s seed vaults at
Heritage Farm, splice in GMOs, then patent and sell the seed. Indeed, a
1.1% tax on patents of “derivatives” of the varieties deposited in Svalbard
is the main way that the FAO Treaty will generate its funding. Svalbard has
never been a necessary step for SSE – duplicate samples of Seed Savers
Members’ Seed Collection were already being stored in a separate
underground seed vault at Heritage Farm, as insurance against fire and
tornadoes, plus duplicate samples are also in “black box storage” at the
National Seed Storage Lab in Fort Collins, Colorado. (Black box storage
means that the seeds belong entirely to SSE, are being stored only against
catastrophic loss, and can be returned upon request.)

When confronted with my concerns about Svalbard, SSE issued a statement
claiming its seeds in Svalbard are only in black box storage, belong
entirely to SSE and cannot be distributed, patenting cannot occur, SSE can
get its seeds back upon request, and SSE has the signed contracts stating
all that. The argument about SSE’s seeds being strictly in black box
storage is a deliberate deception.

While it is true that the samples of the seeds actually stored in Svalbard
cannot be distributed, linking those deposits to the FAO Treaty is what
facilitates the distribution of those same varieties stored in Heritage
Farm’s seed vaults. Numerous deceptive statements throughout Svalbard’s
flood of self-promotion are all based on that lie. A more extensive letter,
posted later and still on SSE’s website, claims there is no linkage between
the Svalbard’s Depositors Agreement and the FAO Treaty, which is an
outright lie. The unsigned letter also claims that SSE’s actions are simply
adhering to “emerging international norms,” but the truth is that out of
1,470 seed banks worldwide, SSE is one of only 29 that have placed their
seeds in Svalbard and the only non-governmental or non-international seed
bank to do so.

SSE’s members have been lied to repeatedly that participation with Svalbard
is entirely free, never mentioning the estimated $200,000 for additional
personnel and software needed to mesh SSE’s computers with the USDA’s
GRIN-Global network. Other lies include telling SSE’s Members that fears
about Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection being made available for
corporate breeding and patenting are unfounded and will never actually
happen. Being written into the FAO Treaty means it will eventually happen,
exactly the same way the rights of farmers to save their own seeds have
gradually been made illegal by similar treaties. 9 SSE’s publications have
highly touted the new chat room set up for SSE’s Members, but any questions
concerning SSE’s relationship with Svalbard or my termination are being
strictly censored.

Dozens of SSE’s Members have had their postings deleted and have been
warned about being permanently banned if they ever attempt to place such
“confidential information” on SSE’s website again. Cary Fowler, however,
has made extensive use of SSE’s website and chat room to defend Svalbard
and to simply dismiss me as a “conspiracy theorist” (and then he even went
on to discuss the 6% of the U.S. population who still don’t believe that
the moon landing happened)

After my 33 years of hard work developing the Seed Savers Exchange and Seed
Savers Members’ Seed Collection, how truly disgusting! Right now Cary
Fowler is moving heaven and earth to place as many seed collections as
possible under the control of the FAO Treaty. Back in 1990 he co-authored
Shattering: Food, Politics and the Loss of Genetic Diversity and was also
involved in projects to create community seed banks in developing
countries. But today none of those indigenous seed banks would ever think
of turning over their village’s genetic heritage to Svalbard and the FAO
Treaty.

For 26 years Cary Fowler watched as I put together the best collection of
heirloom food crops in the world, but he never said one word to me about
putting Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection into Svalbard, dealing instead
with Amy Goldman behind the scenes. And now his press releases proudly
state that even NGOs are getting involved with Svalbard! Despite Cary
Fowler’s rhetoric about protecting genetic resources, Svalbard is nothing
more than legalized biopiracy by U.N. treaty! His Trojan horse publicity is
all designed to focus attention strictly on the Svalbard Global Seed Vault
and its claims of saving the world’s food production from climate change
and nuclear catastrophe, with never any mention of the FAO Treaty.

Truth be known, Svalbard is the largest corporate seed grab in the history
of the world! Amy Goldman is also on the Board of the New York Botanical
Garden which wisely and rightfully has ignored the FAO Treaty and adheres
instead to the principles of the Convention on Biological Diversity (the
CBD Treaty) signed by 191 countries in Rio in 1995. But the U.S. government
has steadfastly refused to ratify the CBD Treaty because it endorses
national sovereignty over seeds and recognizes the intellectual property
rights of indigenous farmers with whom it attempts to provide revenue
sharing.

The FAO Treaty falsely claims to be “in harmony with the CBD Treaty” but
doesn’t even recognize “country of origin.” The FAO Treaty also deceptively
describes numerous benefits to be “shared fairly and equitably” with
“farmers in all countries, especially in developing countries,” but Article
13.2(d)(ii) negates that hollow rhetoric by confirming that any benefit
sharing will be “voluntary.”

The U.S. hasn’t ratified the FAO Treaty yet, but the USDA’s National Plant
Germplasm System has already deposited 41,390 accessions into Svalbard,
including many Mexican varieties. Numerous developing countries who do not
accept the FAO Treaty have seen samples from their countries placed in
Svalbard and under the FAO Treaty without their permission. For example,
95,722 Mexican varieties have been deposited in Svalbard even though Mexico
hasn’t signed the FAO Treaty. Indeed, the real purpose of Svalbard (far
from being just safe storage) is to allow national seed banks in the
developed countries – like the USDA and the CGIAR International
Agricultural Research Institutes which all hold vast collections from other
countries – to deposit those samples in Svalbard and under the control of
the FAO Treaty without national permission. Also, derivatives created from
duplicates of the samples deposited in Svalbard can be patented without
knowledge or permission of the country of origin.10

Many dozens of times over the years, I was always so pleased whenever a
seed donor or the child of an SSE Member would ask for their family’s seeds
back, because in every case Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection was able
to make that happen. Likewise, USDA and the CGIAR Institutes have always
proudly returned samples unconditionally to restock national farming after
disasters, but not anymore! In the future every distribution of duplicates
of the samples deposited in Svalbard will require signing a Standard
Material Transfer Agreement (SMTA) linked to the FAO Treaty, so that
patented derivatives can be tracked and taxed. If countries or their
farmers (or Seed Savers’ Members) want samples returned to replace lost
varieties, even if they originally donated that seed, under the rules of
the FAO Treaty they will have to sign away any former rights (see Article 6
of the SMTA.) Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection is a truly a “peoples’
seed bank,” similar to collections of traditional seeds being maintained by
countless villages of indigenous farmers worldwide.

After slowly building trust in SSE for a decade, I was deeply moved when
Native American gardeners began offering their sacred seeds through SSE’s
Yearbooks. Over the years 140 Native American varieties were offered by
members of nearly 50 different tribes (50 sovereign nations) which include:
Abnaki, Acoma, Algonquin, Anasazi, Apache, Arikara, Cherokee, Chippewa,
Choctaw, Cochiti, Colville, Coschatta, Delaware, Gila, Havasupai, Hidatsa,
Hopi, Iroquois, Lakota, Lenape, Mandan, Mesquakie, Miami, Mohave, Mohawk,
Munsi, Narragansett, Navajo, Nez Pierce, Odawa, Omaha, Osage, Paiute,
Passamaquoddy, Penobscot, Pima, Powhatan, Seminole, Seneca, Tamaroa, Taos,
Tarahumara, Tesuque, Tohono O’odham, Tuscarora, Wampanogg, Winnebago, Yokut
and Zuni. In 2005 I supplied my friend Gary Nabhan with samples of all the
Hopi varieties in SSE’s collection, which – along with the Hopi varieties
being maintained by Native Seeds/SEARCH – were given back to the Hopi in a
ceremony that was the largest repatriation of native seeds in history. The
following summer I included in the growouts at Heritage Farm most of the
Native American varieties in SSE’s collection in anticipation of also
repatriating those seeds to their tribes. My previously voiced concern that
Native American seeds might be deposited in Svalbard was recently answered
on SSE’s website which defiantly proclaims that SSE’s deposit this year
will include Arikara watermelon and Algonquin pumpkin.

For the last three years, all of the statistics about the seed collection
have been removed from SSE’s publications and seed catalog to prevent SSE’s
Members from knowing exactly what has been stolen from them. In order to
document what is at stake, Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection at the time
of my termination included: 160 amaranth, 5,300 bean, 220 beet, 60
broccoli, 30 Brussels sprout, 220 cabbage, 270 carrot, 170 cauliflower, 40
celeriac, 60 celery, 260 Chinese cabbage, 180 chicory, 900 corn, 350
cowpea, 300 cucumber, 230 eggplant, 180 endive, 200 fava, 150 gourd, 110
kale, 50 kohlrabi, 140 leek, 1,100 lettuce, 290 lima, 580 melon, 100
mustard, 140 okra, 200 common onion (and seeds of 150 perennial onion), 130
parsley, 80 parsnip, 1,200 pea, 40 peanut, 2,440 pepper, 310 radish, 250
runner bean, 70 rutabaga, 50 sorghum, 220 soybean, 150 spinach, 1,310
squash, 210 sunflower, 100 Swiss chard, 40 tepary bean, 20 tomatillo, 6,200
tomato, 90 turnip and 320 watermelon (for a total of more than 26,000
garden varieties). And that doesn’t include any of the perennial
collections being maintained at Heritage Farm: 700 varieties of pre-1900
apples, 200 hardy grapes, 300 garlic and 130 horseradish.

Those totals don’t begin to describe the richness of Seed Savers Members’
Seed Collection. I spent three solid years from 1981 to 1984 inventorying
and compiling the descriptions of every 11 non-hybrid vegetable variety
being offered by mail-order seed catalogs in the U.S. and Canada. The first
edition of my Garden Seed Inventory was published in 1984 with updated
editions every few years – the Sixth Edition was published in 2004. I
designed those inventories to identify varieties in danger of being
dropped, so that samples could be purchased using the revenue from each
edition. I also wrote the grants that allowed SSE to sponsor 12 plant
collecting expeditions in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union from
1993 through 1997, which resulted in 4,000 traditional varieties from about
30 eastern countries (and Cuba) flowing into SSE’s seed collection. But the
vast majority of Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection has always been
unique heirloom varieties requested annually from each Seed Savers
Yearbook.

Amy Goldman is still loudly professing her dedication to SSE’s members,
even though her “Big Picture Thinking” (better described as “big photo op
thinking”) is gradually destroying their access to their own seed
collection. SSE’s Board recently held “confidential” (secret) discussions
to decide just how much of Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection will
actually be maintained. Svalbard is only interested in the 9,000 varieties
that are “unique to SSE’s collection” (those that the USDA’s GRIN Global
computer system determines are not in other government collections). That
subset has already become the new focus of Heritage Farm’s growouts.
Instead of SSE’s previous system – growing 10% of the collection each year
on a 10-year rotation to provide SSE’s members with revolving access to all
26,000 varieties – Heritage Farm’s nonprofit facilities have now
essentially become a growout station for Svalbard!

Seed Savers mission has always been to rescue heirloom and endangered
garden crops, and those genetic resources have never been more desperately
needed than right now to respond to climate change. The multiple threats
Cary Fowler uses to justify Svalbard’s existence would be better served if
Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection remained freely available as intended.
The heirloom varieties donated by SSE’s Members and the endangered
commercial varieties rescued using the six editions of the Garden Seed
Inventory include the best garden varieties we will ever see.

Unlike today’s plant breeding, most of the varieties in SSE’s collection
were developed before the chemical era and grow well without the use of
chemicals (plus have never been exposed to GMO contamination). Organic
growers in the U.S. – whether home gardeners, CSA operators, restaurant
suppliers or farmers’ market growers – are the ones who will be hurt the
most by SSE’s needless relationship with Svalbard. What has Seed Savers
gained from its affiliation with Svalbard? Absolutely nothing! But the
damage has been immense.

Amy Goldman and SSE’s Board have created a protective wall of secrecy –
“That’s confidential. We can’t talk about that.” They have lied to SSE’s
Advisors, Members, funders and donors, and maliciously attacked those who
disagree with their actions. My voice as a critic of the patenting of life
and agricultural genetic manipulation has been silenced. The brutal way I
was terminated and subsequent lies by SSE’s Board defending their actions
have destroyed the trust of SSE’s Members that I spent 33 years building.
Their trumped up charges, slander and defamation of me have alienated SSE’s
Members and donors, and severely damaged SSE’s financial future: long-term
funders no longer trust that SSE’s projects will be maintained, bequests
are being rethought and possible endowments have evaporated.

SSE’s greatest treasure was its collection of 26,000 vegetable varieties,
donated mainly by 3,500 SSE Members who for 33 years selflessly shared
their families’ heirloom seeds. That incredibly rich legacy – the greatest
genetic resource that North American gardeners have ever known – has been
stolen from SSE’s Members and is being systematically turned over to the
U.N.’s FAO Treaty designed to facilitate access by multinational
corporations, not by gardeners and farmers. 12

Amy Goldman has traded Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection for an
international photo op in the permafrost beside the Svalbard Doomsday
Vault. For three long years her misuse of SSE’s nonprofit resources has
been legally enabled and empowered by Neil Hamilton, while Cary Fowler is
lying his way towards a Nobel Peace Prize. By putting Seed Savers Members’
Seed Collection into Svalbard, SSE’s Board has broken the trust of
thousands of current and former Seed Savers’ Members who donated samples
believing that their families’ heirloom seeds would always be maintained
and protected from exactly this kind of misuse.

Svalbard’s depositors can annul the agreement and recover their seeds, but
that won’t happen as long as the majority of SSE’s board members are being
funded by Amy Goldman or are profiting from their positions on SSE’s Board.
Given the steadfast defiance of Amy Goldman and the continuing inaction by
SSE’s other board members, legal action will be required to get SSE’s seeds
returned. For three years SSE’s Board has denied all of my requests, so I
have filed a lawsuit to prevent my name being taken off of the watershed
books and inventories that I spent years compiling, and to regain access to
and usage of my speeches, writings, photos, correspondence and research. In
addition, I am announcing here that I will pay all of the costs for any
lawsuit brought by any SSE Member who donated to Seed Savers Members’ Seed
Collection, only to see their family’s seeds now deposited in Svalbard. And
I will not stop until Amy Goldman, Cary Fowler and Neil Hamilton resign
from SSE’s Board and all of Seed Savers Members’ Seed Collection is
returned from Svalbard to Heritage Farm and the rightful control of Seed
Savers’ Members. This is the seed collection of the American people, built
for their use. It is a national treasure and must be protected!

Websites for Svalbard, Global Crop Diversity Trust and FAO Documents
Svalbard Depositors Agreement:

http://www.nordgen.org/sgsv/files/sgsv/SGSV_Standard_
Depositor_Agreement.pdf

ftp://ftp.fao.org/ag/cgrfa/it/ITPGRe.pdf

FAO’s International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and
Agriculture:

ftp://ftp.fao.org/ag/agp/planttreaty/agreements/smta/SMTAe.pdf

FAO’s Standard Material Transfer Agreement:

http://www.croptrust.org/main/expanding. php?itemid+296

Global Crop Diversity Trust/ Programme/Expanding Use:

Svalbard’s Seed Holdings, Depositors, etc.:

http://www.nordgen.org

Countries Ratifying the FAO Treaty: http://www.fao.org/Legal/TREAT
IES/033s-e.htm

--