permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] More evidence of microbial workers in the rhyzosphere that can replace energy-intensive chemical slaves (and always could)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: sanet-mg@googlegroups.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] More evidence of microbial workers in the rhyzosphere that can replace energy-intensive chemical slaves (and always could)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:15:29 -0400

It wouls be interesting to explore the relationship between soil-borne
bacteria that enhance the phosphate stress response
in plants and the effect plant root colonized VAM's have on increased
phosphate uptake, how each process is affected by the other
and how that might be regulated by plant, bacteria or fungi for maximum
benefit to each.

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 10:56 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Article: 5512 of bionet.plants
> From: niemirab at student.msu.edu
> Niemira)
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: Re: Mycorhizzae vs. Fertilizer
> Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 11:04 est
>

> For agronomic crops, you're talking about vesicular arbuscular
> mycorrhizae (VAM), a symbiotic endomycorrhizal fungus. These are
> ubiquitous anyway, and
> not very host-specific, so there is very little need to inoculate the field
> in order
> to introduce them. The big trick is getting them to colonize your crop
> plant to such an extent that fertilizer inputs can be reduced. You can a)
> build up the population in the soil such that even moderately active fungi
> result in
> heavy coloniazation, b) put something in the soil to stimulate the activity
> of smaller populations to get heavy colonization.
>
> Crop rotations have been shown to have a definite impact on the population
> dynamics of VAM, and work is currently being done (by me, among others) to
> determine how the different crop plants differentially select for certain
> species of VAM among all that are availible in the soil.
>
> Other workers have shown that certain natural, plant-produced chemicals can
> stimulate the existing VAM to higher levels of activity. These
> chemicals were originally derived from red clover, a popular sequence in
> crop
> rotations. This may shed some light on why rotations are effective
> w/regard to VAM.

Here are two interesting resources on VAMs:
1)
Mycorrhizal Associations: Arbuscular Mycorrhizas
https://mycorrhizas.info/vam.html
2)
Use of Vesicular - Arbuscular Mycorrhiza (VAM) as Biofertilizer for
Horticultural Plants in Developing Countries - Springer
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-94-011-3176-6_8#page-1

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-94-011-3176-6_8

Abstract

Mycorrhiza is the product of an association between a fungus and plant
root. Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza (VAM) is formed by the symbiotic
association between certain phycomycetous fungi and angiosperm roots. The
fungus colonizes the root cortex forming a mycelial network and
characteristic vesicles (bladder-like structures) and arbuscules (branched
finger-like hyphae). The mycelia are aseptate or septate ramifying
intercellularly thus causing little damage to tissues. The arbuscules are
the most characteristic structures, formed intracellularly and probably
having an absorptive function. The vesicles are terminal swellings of
hyphae formed inter and intracellularly having a storage function. There
are six genera of fungi belonging to Endogonaceae which have been shown to
form mycorrhizal associations: Glomus, Gigaspora, Acaulospora,
Entrophospora Sclerocystis and Scutellospora. These are mainly identified
by their characteristic spores and sporocarps which are formed mostly in
the soil surrounding the roots and rarely inside the roots. The
identification of VAM fungi directly from roots has been difficult. One of
the striking features of VAM fungi is their very wide host range which
includes angiosperm species belonging to almost all the families. Even the
roots of some aquatic plants are colonized by VAM fungi.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com