permaculture - [permaculture] Why the Food Movement is Unstoppable | John Ikerd.com

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Why the Food Movement is Unstoppable | John Ikerd.com
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 20:36:31 -0500

http://johnikerd.com/2017/02/why-the-food-movement-is-unstoppable/

Why the Food Movement is Unstoppable
By johnikerd1 <http://johnikerd.com/author/johnikerd1/> February 2, 2017
<http://johnikerd.com/2017/02/why-the-food-movement-is-unstoppable/>
Uncategorized <http://johnikerd.com/category/uncategorized/>

Skepticism seems to persist regarding whether the organic/local/sustainable
food movement will actually eventually replace the current industrial food
system. Jonathan Latham challenges the skeptics in a recent article in
the *Independent
Science News*: Why the Food Movement is Unstoppable
<https://www.independentsciencenews.org/health/why-the-food-movement-is-unstoppable/>.
Below are some key excerpts from his piece. The article is a bit long, but
I highly recommend reading it at least down to the five reasons I have
abbreviated below.

John Ikerd
------------------------------

Unlike other systems of thought, food movement philosophy is based on a
biological understanding of the world. By replacing [current ideology] with
an understanding based on pure biology, the food movement is therefore in a
position to supply what our society lacks: mechanisms to align human needs
with the needs of ecosystems and habitats. The philosophy of the food
movement even goes further, by recognising that our planetary problems and
our social problems are really the same problem. The food movement
therefore represents the beginnings of a historic ecological and social
shift that will transform our relationships with each other and with the
natural world.

Five reasons the food movement is unstoppable:

*1) The food movement is a leaderless movement*

The first important piece of the food puzzle is to note that the food
movement has no formal leaders. Rather, the food movement
is self-organised. It is a food swarm and absence of formal leadership is
not a sign of weakness but of strength.

*2) The food movement is a grassroots movement*

A second and complementary piece of the puzzle is that the food movement is
far more inclusive than other social movements. It is composed of the urban
and the rural, the rich and the poor, of amateurs and experts, of home
cooks and celebrity chefs, farmers and gardeners, parents and writers, the
employed and the unemployed. Essentially anyone, in any walk of life, can
contribute, learn or benefit. Most do all three.

*3) The food movement is international*

A third unconventional attribute of the food movement is to be
international and multilingual. In each locality it assumes different
forms. The Campaign for Real Ale, Via Campesina, the Zapatistas, Slow
Food and Europe’s anti-GMO movement are very different, but instead of
competing or quarreling, there are remarkable overlaps of purpose and
vision between the parts.

*4) The food movement is low-budget*

The fourth distinguishing characteristic of the food movement is that it
has little money behind it. It might seem natural for “social movements” to
be unfunded but it is in fact very rare. This is yet another powerful
indication that the food movement is spontaneous, vigorous and internally
driven.

*5) A movement of many values*

Most social movements are organised around core values: civil rights,
social equality or respect for nature are common ones. What is unique about
the food movement is that it has multiple values. They include human health
concerns, animal welfare, agricultural sustainability, ecological
sustainability, food justice and political empowerment, but even this list
does not adequately capture the range of its concerns. It is a movement
with many component parts.

In the ultimate analysis, the growth of the food movement is the people’s
response to the failing ideas of the enlightenment. It represents a
tectonic realignment of the forces underlying our society and a clash of
ideas more profound than anything seen since the collapse of feudalism and
the emergence of the industrial revolution. The outcome of this clash will
determine not only the future of our society, but also whether our
descendents get to live on a planet recognisable to us today. The portents
are excellent. The food movement is prevailing because it takes advantage
of the synergies and potentials inherent in biological systems, whereas the
ideas of the enlightenment ignore, deny, and suppress these potentialities.
It will indeed be a beautiful struggle to turn these portents into reality.

  • [permaculture] Why the Food Movement is Unstoppable | John Ikerd.com, Lawrence London, 02/02/2017