permaculture - [permaculture] Question on Root Cellar Venting

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: S P SHERMAN <spsherm@msn.com>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Question on Root Cellar Venting
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 05:54:52 +0000

I had a question on ventilation for a quasi root cellar I am building.
It is a 6'x8' "room" in the NW corner of the basement level of a barn.
Two of the walls are below soil level with concrete walls in direct soil
contact, with the other two walls being framed 2x6 and insulated.
Ceiling is 2x8 with insulation. The climate here is rather cold, US ag
zone 5a, min winter temps of -20F and quite windy.

I have read several books and article on venting root cellars, and plan
on an intake vent in the NE corner at the floor level, and an exhaust
vent in the SW corner of the ceiling. This should provide decent
circulation inside the room, the question I have is on the sizing of
these vents.

Most sources recommend 3 or 4" diameter vents for a storage room of
about this size. I am considering whether smaller diameter vents might
be a better choice. My thoughts are that the 3-4" size would be good for
purely passive ventilation in a less windy and milder climate, but with
our winds and cold winter temps, smaller vents might be more
appropriate. Less apt to freeze things if someone forgets to block them
off during the cold/windy spells. The smaller diameter vents would tend
to slow the cool down during the fall, but I am thinking that might be
overcome with a few choice nights of venting possibly with the help of a
fan.

What do folks think? Anyone with root cellar ventilation experience have
any thoughts?

TIA